Chapter 29: Facing Beatrix

(Leo's POV)

"Hey, man." I give David a little smile and let him back in his own house.

We have been talking a lot since I left the hospital, and David has been pouring his heart and soul to me.

He simply nods and looks longingly at his wife. 

"Hello, David." Beatrix stands by the kitchen table.

With the hat in his hands, David timidly steps in the kitchen. His eyes are full of sorrow and hope.

"Trixie..."

"Sit with us." Beatrix shoots me a glare, making sure I'm not going to leave them alone.

I take a seat with a slight smirk on my face. I made it clear to David that I'm not taking a beating for him, again.

We all accept a cup of coffee and the silence lingers...

"(Oh, Crap...)" And I suddenly feel like a parent...

"You two wanted to talk?" I look from one to the other. Nothing, still... I gape at David and raise my eyebrows. "Spill, David!"

Amazingly, that finally gets him on a roll...

"Trixie? I know I hurt you, babe...and Claudia... I lied for so long! Lord knows how it almost destroyed me... But you and Claudia were all that mattered! Ever! To be by your side, helping to raise our little girl... It was all worth it! ...Every second of it! I love you so much... I'm dying without you! And I swear to you... Serena was just a reflection in the mirror from the true love of my life... YOU!"

Eyes closed, shaking her head slowly, Beatrix raises her hands to make him stop.

I stare at a very red David. "(Yeah... That wasn't confusing at all, buddy...)"

Raising my eyebrows again at the old man, I'm truly afraid that he just fucked it all up. This was his one and only chance to come out clean with Trix.

But to my surprise, the warmth emanating from Beatrix's gaze tell another story... Maybe after so many years together, Trix can speak David better than anyone else, as it appears that she actually understood him.

"So, you were never in love with my sister? You didn't just stay with me because you couldn't have her?"

"HELL, NO! It was always you! She brought me to you and I was ever thankful to her for doing so...and for giving me the most incredible daughter!"

David leans over the table staring deeply into Beatrix's wet eyes. "Because, Trix, I know without a doubt that Claudia is mine! She's the spitting image of my Italian grandmother. Here... Look!"

David pushes an old black and white picture on the table. A picture I've already studied very carefully...and quite a few times.

Beatrix picks up the photo in her hands. She gasps.

It's the image of a young woman in a long and antiquated looking dress. Claudia... There's no doubt whatsoever.

"We'll do the DNA test to confirm everything... Remove any shadow of a doubt." David insists.

I nod, agreeing vehemently with David... A plan forming in my head...

"Then it's time to bring Claudia home..." Trix stares at me.

                                                                  #

It's been a couple of days since the conversation with David and Trix.

The stitches on my face have been completely absorbed, leaving a nasty scar over my eye and a smaller one on my lower lip and chin.

"(Two weeks... It's been too fucking long!)" I miss Claudia so much... To hell with all this waiting.

But then, I glance at the rearview mirror and my fingers touch the new permanent scar, still pink fresh, crossing over half my face. It was a miracle that I didn't lose my eye.

Pretty face is gone... Will it disturb, disgust Claudia?

My phone rings.

"Hey, Trix... What did you find out?"

"Jeff took off to a summer job in North California. A resort close to a little town called Crescent City."

"And?"

"My source confirms that he wasn't alone... A young brunette was with him. Also, the hotel told me that Claudia's car has been sitting on their parking lot for weeks, but she never checked in."

My hands grip the steering wheel harder.

"I'm almost home... I'll pack a bag and catch a flight as soon as possible."

"I thought you would... I'm figuring out the best way to get you there."

"The fastest!" I add.

"Yeah, that..."

I hear hesitation in Beatrix's voice. 

"Leo?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you sure it's time? Shouldn't we let Claudia decide to come back on her own?"

I understand where Trix is coming from, but at this point, I know Claudia better than anyone.

"I always knew, deep inside, that we couldn't be siblings, Trix... Claudia needs me to help shake it all off and come back. She's stuck, right now, and would do the same for me..."

"You believe David..." Trix is desperately seeking reassurance.

"With all my heart... You saw the picture... And you?"

Silence.

"It'll be a.. slow process."

I smile, understanding.

"Sounds good enough to me, Trix."