Chapter 1 An early visit

I woke up to something jumping on me... No not something, someone. Who the heck is jumping on me?

I come out from under the sheets and see Emily’s face, “what the hell!!” . she looked at me and laughed, oh god I must be such a mess right now, “you droll when you sleep” she said still laughing.  I wipe my cheek with the back of my hand “Shut up … who let you in?”.

“your mom”

“what time is it?” I ask looking at her with half open eyes.

“ 11:45”

“why are you waking me up so early? … why the hell are you here anyway?!”. I rub my eyes and sit up straight.

“Lin, summer is almost over and we need to hang out before college starts”

I tease her, “and why don’t we hang out after college starts”.

She sighs “Because, we’ll be 3 thousand miles away from each other, and we won’t have time to see each other this often anymore “.

I laugh “thank God, that means a break from you for at least a year”

Emily gives me a wide grin “ha ha, very funny...” she slides beside me under the blue sheets, “… I’m gonna miss this”

I smile “What? Jumping on me and waking me up?”

She laughs and then her smile fades, “No, hanging out together all the time, the two of us”

Now I don’t feel like smiling anymore “yeah Em, me too”

Just thinking that I only have 2 weeks until I go away for college makes me sick. I try to push the thought away “so.. what are we going to do today?”.

She smiles “I thought we can go watch a movie”

“That sounds great… but first can we eat, I’m starving”

She jumps off the bed so fast I almost gasp. “Come on, we don’t want to be late”. “Late??” I ask frowning.

“Well.. I kind of..sort of..called Caleb and Megan and told them that we are going to meet them at 1 o’clock in front of the movies”

“EMILY!! It’s already 12”. I yell while getting out of bed.

“I know..I know, that’s why we have to go now”

“Well, I’m not going anywhere until I eat”. I say folding my arms in front of my chest.

She exhaled “FINE..Just come on!”.

Emily waits in my room while I take a VERY quick shower and brush my teeth.

“Finally!” Emily yells when I enter the room, “oh come on I only took like 5 minutes” I say.

“Well.. Your mom came in and told me that breakfast is ready downstairs, so let’s go”. “You go down, I’m gonna put on my clothes and shoes and follow you”. She nods and heads downstairs. I go over to my closet and grab my jeans, a baby blue t-shirt and the pink cardigan my mom likes because she says it brings out my eyes and put them on. Then I brush my hair and put on my shoes.

I hear Emily calling me from the kitchen “ LINDAA…COME ON”. “COMING..COMING”.

Emily was always cheerful, she always made me laugh. In fact she was one of the funniest people I know, she was short and tinny. She was blonde and she had the most brilliant green eyes I’ve ever seen, her eyes were so big and so green they almost glowed and when she was talking about something she loves her eyes glowed even more, we were practically raised together, she was like my sister, a sometimes annoying sister. But I love her, she was always there for me, and I was always there for her.

I stare in the mirror,  I see long wavy auburn hair, brown eyebrows, a small nose, red cheeks, a big mouth and a pair of big purple eyes. My eyes were so creepy sometimes they even scared me, the kids at school always made fun of my eyes, ‘witch’ ‘freak’ ‘vampire’ I heard it all. The only good thing about heading off to college is leaving my stupid school.

I take one last look at myself and head downstairs.