Chapter 12- 20 Questions

"Avery." A hand nudged me hard on my right shoulder.

"Hmmm?" I mumbled, opening my eyes blearily. Where am I?

A grey hooded sweatshirt stood over me, shaking me slowly.  It was so dark in there that the face underneath the hoodie was completely hidden by shadows, so I was completely unable to tell who had the misfortune of waking me up.

"Avery? Are you okay?" Grey-hooded sweatshirt, asked me.

"I'm fine," I said, sleepily. "Who are you?" 

I looked around at my surroundings and was shocked to find myself on an old beaten up couch with a couple making out a few feet away.  Then as if on cue, the last few hours flashed through my mind and I remembered that I was at a party, drunk with no friends in sight.

"Dominic, remember? You called me saying you needed me to help you find someone?" He sounded amused at my confusion.

"If you're Dominic, which I'm not saying you are, why are you wearing that hood over your face?" Now that I was back in a semi-conscious state, my head was back to full on throbbing and there was a terrible, acidic taste in my mouth.  I was not in the mood for joking.  I wanted to get the hell out of here and into my cushy, warm bed.

"Well, I can't exactly be walking around like everyone else here.  I think it would draw a few strange looks if people started to notice a teacher walking in their midst." The hooded figure laughed.  I tried to focus in on his face, but the room was still spinning too fast around me.

"True." I said, frowning.  I guess I had no other option but to believe him.

"Can you try and stand up? I'll help you find your friend, but then I need to be heading back home." Dominic leaned down to me, placing out his hand for me to grab hold of.

He pulled me slowly to my feet and I grabbed onto him tightly when the room began to spin even faster around me.  I swallowed the bile rising in my throat and forced myself to take a deep breath. Do not puke on Dominic, Avery. Do not even think of puking right now.

After a few moments, the room had stopped spinning and I was no longer seeing double, so I took that as a sign to start searching the room for Blake.  Dominic followed me around in his "disguise," and we searched the dance floor and the kitchen for Blake.

I tried to describe Blake's appearance so that Dominic could be looking for someone more descriptive than "blonde," but in my drunken state the best I could come up with is for him to look for a girl with shiny hair and sparkles.  Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have really been surprised when we didn't find her.

"Why don't we go outside and you can try calling her?" Dominic suggested, after we had spent an hour walking around the house, searching every nook and cranny.

"Good idea, Dominic." I said, bouncing up and down.  I was no longer seeing double and the awful taste of acid had long since left my stomach, so I was feeling much more like my normal self.

"You seem to have gotten your second wind." Dominic said, fanning his face with his right hand.  He must have been really sweating in that sweatshirt.  I knew I was.  All the searching and walking had made my back so sweaty that my hair was practically glued to the back of my neck with sweat.

"I did. I am feeling so much better now." I grabbed my phone, dialing Blake's number.  Now that we were outside, Dominic ripped off the hood of his jacket and I was able to see in fact that it was Dominic standing beside me.  He watched me closely as I listened impatiently to the ring, ring, ring of the phone.  I made a face and stuck my tongue out at him and he shook his head, laughing.