Chapter 3

We used to talk about it a lot, the first time we really noticed each other. It was simple, something that wouldn't last long for us.

--

Track season went much like I'd expect; long bus rides and even longer meets. As the season progressed, practice got easier; the focus shifted from hard workouts to mastering hand offs and fewer aggressive workouts spread in between bigger meets. I remember this day much more clearly than the rest; it was the first time we really interacted.

Ruby Foster had become pretty decent friends with Dani over the course of the season, and I hadn't really noticed it until we were approaching the Relays. Dani had to go practice high jump, and I had just finished all of my hand offs. I made my way over to my spike-bag, preparing to leave practice. As I leaned over and finished removing my spikes, someone approached me.

"Hug me." The light voice said, commanding me. I looked up, super fucking confused. I squinted up at the figure, blonde hair being made blindingly bright by the rays of the sun. Ruby Foster.

"Uh...Okay." I stood up, my brow furrowed. Nonetheless, I hugged her. The hug only lasted a few seconds, all of which were filled with confusion. I was the first to pull away, staring back at Ruby. She shook her head and gave me a small shrug. "Are you okay?" I asked, giving her a quick once over.

She took a breath, "Yeah, I'm just pissed off." It was then that I noticed it, her left fist was clenched, and her cheeks were red. She was definitely upset.

"About?" I pressed, looking around to see who was still at practice. Who could've pissed her off?

"It doesn't matter. I gotta go." She turned around, spotting Lily and Brenna, and began jogging toward the two. I stood there, still baffled by the experience. I shook my head, fuck it. I looked over and saw Dani. She was just finishing up her high jump practice so I decided I'd wait for her.

As she came over to take off her shoes, I questioned "Do you know why Foster is pissed off?"

She shook her head, shrugging. "Maybe she just wanted to go home."

I shrugged, I doubted it, but I guess it wasn't my business. I waited as Blake grabbed the rest of her stuff. We marched to her car which was parked beside the track. As we pulled out of her parking spot, I saw Ruby. Impulsively, I had come up with a brilliant idea.

I rolled down my window in the passenger seat and called out, "Bye Foster!" I dragged out her last name to be dramatic. Genius idea, I know. She shot a glare my way and I quickly rolled up the window and faced forward. Lexi and Lily offered me quick waves in the side mirror.

"Yikes." was all Blake had to say in response. Yeah, yikes.

It was then that I realized she was walking in a pack with Lily, Brenna, and Lexi. Judging by her aggressive hand gestures, Ruby was still pissed. Lily, the shortest of the bunch, nodded along. Brenna seemed to be pissed off too, frustration radiating off of her hard-set stare ahead of them. Lexi listened intently to Ruby who seemed to be ranting about whatever it was that had pissed them off.

"Oh, you know what. I might know why she's so pissed." Blake said, as she pulled up to the high school parking lot. "Coach just changed one of the relays, but I don't think Ruby was in it. I think he took Brenna out of it, actually. I don't know." She shrugged, resuming her positive outlook. "But I'm sure it'll be fine. See you tomorrow, loser." I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow."

--

I spent majority of my night on homework and some light gaming. I took a shower and got ready for bed, and oddly enough I was brought back to the odd occurrence. Why the hell did Foster hug me? Yeah, it was probably nothing, but honestly, what the fuck? That was so random, and I still don't even know exactly why she was pissed off.

Actually, with what Blake said, maybe she was pissed off about one of her friends getting moved out of a relay. She could just be protective. That, I would understand. I have always been pretty reserved, and it's still a miracle to me that I ever made friends, but one of the most prominent traits I have is a ridiculous amount of loyalty.

Logically, my hard exterior pushes people away and that's generally how I like it, and if that doesn't work, my very direct, vulgar language is a good deterrent. Despite all of my rather intended, repulsive features, I don't like the empty feeling of being alone. I've always tried to keep a close-knit group, which I think I've done rather well. Dani was one of my closest friends, but we only met last year. Beyond her, I had Eilish Griffin, AJ West, and Daisy Bradley. They were all close friends I had made from elementary or middle school, and somehow managed to keep.

Long story short, because I am so invested in the people in my life, I could understand if that's what pissed Ruby off. Maybe I could talk to her about and see what it was all about.

--

The next few practices went by without any more odd incidences, but because Dani talked to Ruby so much, I ended up also talking to her more. One of the first things Ruby and I established was that, Dani and I were right, she had been pissed off about the relay change.

"Hey, Jess, can you wait for me to finish practicing high jump?" Dani requested. I groaned - I just wanted to go home.

"Hell no, I'm outta here." I spat back, slightly joking.

"Please!" She begged. I sighed, checking the time on my phone. I wouldn't leave her anyway.

"Yeah, whatever." I responded reluctantly. I packed up my spikes and walked toward the high jump mat. Ruby jogged up behind me.

"Hey!" she called, from behind me. I looked at her for second, still walking.

"Hey. You staying to watch Dani practice high jump too?" I joked, gesturing over to the mat.

"Sure, why not. I'm waiting for some people to finish up." I nodded, watching Brenna and Lily practice hand offs on the other side of the track.

"Sweet."

We walked around the track for awhile before we decided to stretch. I don't remember what we talked about really, but I found myself enjoying the conversation. It was easy, and pretty soon we were bantering back and forth.

When Dani finally finished up, I said goodbye to Ruby. Shooting her a genuine smile before she left. Ruby waved back, before joining her friends as they walked back to the school. She was gorgeous. Sigh.

--

A/N:
We love being dumb as hell irl.