Chapter 6: Just like old times

"Ugh!" Wesley groaned for the like a millionth time today.

I turned beside me to face him, "What's wrong, Wes?" I asked as I put down my paintbrush.

Wesley held his head, "I just don't understand!"

I raised an eyebrow at him, "Don't understand what?" I asked but before he could respond Faye butted in.

"He doesn't understand why you still haven't fallen for him yet." Faye winked at me. My eyes widened, startled by Faye's accusation.

"WHAT! N-NO, ugh," Wesley groaned even louder,  "it's just that... I don't understand why Shadowblade is so strong!" Wesley blurted, his cheeks tinted red.

Kaine chuckled from the side at his best friend, "Changing the topic, I see."

My heart skipped a beat for some odd reason.

The sound of the bell resonated through the school. I placed my cleaned pallet on the counter. "Finally schools over!" Faye sighed from behind me. I nodded in agreement. "Heyyy, Violet you said we could go to the mall today- come on let's go!" Faye grinned as she pulled me with her. I let out a sigh, I couldn't really deny her this time. I grabbed my bag as she urged me to hurry up.

Soon after we met Wesley outside. He offered us a ride since he was going to work at the cafe in the mall. "I call shotgun." I blurted as I grabbed the handle to the passenger side of Wesley's car. 

Faye let out a huff as she rolled her eyes. "Fineee, I'll let you have shotgun since I'm a good friend." She bragged as she took a seat in the back of Wesley's Blue minivan.

"You've ever been to the cafe?" Wesley asked as he started up the car.

I shook my head as I buckled my seat belt, "This is going to be my first."

The whole ride Faye blasted her favorite album by Revolution Boys. I had to admit, their songs were surprisingly catchy.

-------
We entered the mall and a wave of relief washed over me as It wasn't packed with people so we could actually walk. After about half an hour we left and walked over to the cafe Wesley worked at which was beside the mall. As we were entering it I noticed a sign that said, 'Help Wanted'

"You should apply." A voice beckoned from behind. I turned around to see Wesley.

"You really think so..?" I questioned, I mean I was looking for a part time job. Wesley nodded as we headed into the cafe.

Wesley went to work as Faye and I ordered our drinks. I ordered a small french vanilla latte. "How are you guys enjoying it here?" Wesley asked.

"It's great! Hey, Wesley...I think I'm going to apply for a job here."

Wesley's eyes widened and joy washed over him. "Great! I'll get my manager now so you can have an interview." And with that Wesley dashed off. Faye stood up and threw her empty coffee cup out.

"Hey Vi! I think I'm gonna head home now, good luck on the interview." Faye patted my shoulder and with that she was gone. The supposedly manger of the cafe walked out from the back.

"Hello, you must be Violet! Wesley talks very highly of you. Ah, yes I almost forgot! I'm the manager, Lacey. It's nice to meet'cha!" The manger extended her hand. I quickly shook her hand, she seemed lively. She was around twenty five, she had amber eyes and beautiful strawberry blonde hair flowing down till her elbows.

"It's nice to meet you too." I smiled releasing my grip from the handshake. Ms.Lacey motioned me to follow her.

"Now... let's get this interview started!" She chirped as she led me to a room in the back of the cafe. It was pretty much a lounge. I took a seat across from her on the couch.

"Okay.." Ms.Lacey leaned forward staring at me with curiosity. "Have you ever had a job before?" She questioned.

"No, ma'am." I replied.

"Okay, that's fine. Any reason why you want this job?"

"Um, well...I just think it'll be a better way of spending my time than staying home and lying around doing nothing." I lied, the real reason I wanted a job was so I didn't raise suspicion to myself. Most teens these days had jobs of their own.

Ms.Lacey grinned. "Oh, that's a good answer!" She paused, deep in thought for a minute when a mischievous smirk made its way onto her face. It was kind of unsettling...

"Okaaaay, do you consider yourself responsible?"

"Yes, I do." I replied politely smiling.

"What about respectful?" She countered.

"Yes, that too ma'am."

"Caring?"

"Yes." I found myself subconsciously saying yes to every questions.

"Inclusive?"

"Yes, I do." I smiled.

"Do you like Wesley?"

"Yes- wait WHAT?!" I shouted, I had said yes without completely thinking! "I take it back, I didn't say that!" I panicked my face becoming red. 

Ms.Lacey let out a chuckle. "Ah... young love." She sighed dreamily, leaning back on the sofa.

"W-what no no no, you've got it all wrong!" I reassured her standing up.

Lacey stood up and put a hand on my shoulder, "You got the job!" She grinned.

"Oh really!? Wow that's great- wait wait wait! Don't tell Wesley what I just said please Ms.Lacey!" I begged.

"Your first working shift will be tomorrow... and yeah, don't worry your secret is safe with me!" Ms.Lacey winked walking out the door. I let out a sigh of relief, maybe a little too soon.

"Secret? And me! My two favorite words! Ooo V, I wonder what it could be about!" Wesley chirped as he walked into the room. My eyes widened, did he hear all of that?!

"How much did you hear?!" My eyes narrowed as I questioned him now about inches away from each other. 

Wesley looked as if he was in deep thought for a few seconds. "Hm... from the part where you said, waiiit don't tell the amazing Wesley what I said Ms.Laceyyyy!" Wesley squeaked trying to attempt my voice. I bursted out into laughter at his impression of me. "What you dare mock me, the great Violet?!" Wesley continued mimicking me.

I shook my head at the boy's antics. "That doesn't sound like me at all! And I did not say you were amazing." I finally managed to say.

"It does too sound like you, humph. Anyway, so what was this secret you guys shared, hm?" Wesley questioned gazing into my eyes. 

I shuffled my feet feeling uncomfortable. "I'm not telling you, Wesley. That's why its a secret." I replied pushing him away from me as I walked out of the room.

"Oh yeah... I forgot to tell you something, Violet." Wesley sounded nervous for a second.

"What is it?" I asked as he followed me as I walked to the front of the store.

"Well someone we know actually works here... not that I'm happy about it. Anyway the person is-" Before Wesley could finish I tripped on something...or someone. I rolled onto my back on the floor kind of not wanting to get up. A person hovered over me. My eyes widened at the person... it couldn't be her! But it was. Her smirk was unforgettable, chills went down my spine like she used to make me feel.

"Hello, Violet." Her voice was dark as she smirked.

"Auburn..." I murmured, my old enemy.

She bursted out into laughter... not a friendly one though, "Haha, this is going to be so much fun! Just like old times."

******
     Hope you enjoyed this chapter. The story will get more interesting later on, I promise! Auburn's character becomes more significant during the last book of this series...which I have yet to write loool. Yeah, she doesn't really make any appearances in this book....... IDK why. Anywho, thanks for reading. ❤️