Chapter 7

(A/N: I've read back through past chapters and I realized that there are a lot of spelling errors so I'm sorry about that. Also, Eliza and his son don't exist in this fanfic. Oh and I finished the game up until the epilogue, and I cried like a baby. Anyways, back to the story.)

Jane woke up to the feeling of a breeze. Opening her eyes, she saw the bright sky above her, and felt soft grass beneath. She turned her head to the left, where a sleeping Arthur laid.

Her stomach did a flip-flop at the sight of him. He laid on his back, with one arm next to his head and the other resting on his stomach. His hat had fallen off, laying upside down behind his head. He spelt peacefully and snored softly. Part of her stomach fluttered as she studied him. She never noticed how much she like his presence before. No words could quite capture the feeling she was trying to describe.

Her ears grew hot as she sat up, propping herself up on her hands. She had never slept so close to a man before. Her father would have a heart attack if he saw her now.

No, she thought. Stop thinking about him. He's not a part of your life now.

She shook her head, and along with it, the lingering thoughts of her father.

The matted grass beneath her called her name, and her drowsy head dipped towards it, like two lovers trying to reach each other from a far distance. But, the responsibility of getting back to camp caused her to force her tired arms to prop her up.

Yawning, she gently shook Arthur. "Arthur," she said softly.

Taking a sharp, sudden breath in, he flopped his head over towards her, but didn't wake.

"Arthur," she repeated. "Wake up," her voice was barely above a mumble. The morning was never too kind to her.

He groaned, and brought a hand to his face, rubbing it. "What the..." He grumbled, but it was so mumbly that it was barely audible.

He pulled away his hand to reveal Jane sitting next to him. Her morning hair was messy, draped over her shoulder, but he thought it suited her. Grass indents were on the side of her face, evidence that they had fallen asleep there overnight.

"Oh..." He cleared his throat awkwardly as he sat up. "Must've fallen asleep there last night." His voice was rough, still not woken up all the way.

"I guess so."

He stretched before standing up. "We should probably be on our way to camp, then. They're probably wondering what happened to us."

She brushed an ant off her skirt. "You're right. I told John I was going for a walk, and he probably thinks that I ended up dead somewhere," she said drowsily.

He nodded. "Better get you up, then."

Grabbing both of her hands, he lifted her to her feet- or left foot- and then picked her up.

Placing her on the back of his horse, he grabbed his hat, then mounted in front of her. They set off.

The fresh morning air blew her hair out of her face. She plucked a stray blade of grass of Arthur's back as they rode closer to camp.

The sat in silence. The soft clopping of the horse's hoof and the soft brushing of the leaves in the wind seemed to lull her back to sleep. Her head dipped, hitting Arthur's back in the process.

"Hey, you stay awake back there," he teased. "I don't want you to fall off the damn horse."

"Sorry," She mumbled. Instead of sitting back up, she leaned her forehead on his back. He was warm.