Chapter Twenty-Two: Hazel

It's been two weeks since Emmeline and I were kidnapped. Toby and I managed to help Samuel with his issues. We saved his family and girlfriend. Which, I love his girlfriend, she's so nice. Everything is almost back to normal. Well, except for the fact that Lexi is still receiving detention. I don't know why Duke Kilter is suddenly treating her like a criminal. Anyway. Classes are back and it’s a Tuesday morning.

I come out of the bathroom and go to pick out some clothes. We have Physical Fitness today, so I pull out gym shorts and a t-shirt. I grab my bag and head out the door to the ballroom for Ballet Aide.

That reminds me, I need to buy new stuff for Ballet on Saturday... sorry, getting off track.

Since Toby and I don't have Ballet during school hours, Lady Whisp agreed to teach us on Saturdays.

I make it to the ballroom at the same time as Toby. I go change into the proper attire, and start stretching.

“Hello Hazel, and Toby. How are you?” Lady Whisp asks.

“I'm fine, thank you. How are you? We haven't been here in a while,” I say.

“I'm fine. I know, these silly rivals are going to drive me up a wall if they don't stop this,” Lady Whisp says.

No one says anything. Then students start coming in.

English is interesting, but nothing worth telling.

Art is fun. Oh, ha-ha, funny story about art. Toby was making fun of my painting ‘cause I messed up a little, so the nose of my dog was a bit off. Then when I went to get more paint, I came back and found the nose had been switched from black to red and it had been rounded out farther than I messed up.

“Look, a clown dog,” Toby had said.

Yeah... that's when the paint war began... Poor Lord Pembroke looked like a unicorn and thrown up on him. Anyway, he said our punishment would be cleaning up the entire room after classes were over.

Free period, Toby and I make-out. I mean hang-out! Well, I guess a little bit of both. Ha... ha...

Fifth period is writing. Lots of fun for this class. I get to write a short story. Muwahahaha. I'm feeling just fine, thanks for asking.

Drama/Music is next. Toby and I walk in. I see Adelyn, who is flirting a LOT with Colton, and I make sure that Toby and I steer clear. I see Nancy and Duke sitting next to each other, but no one else around them. Toby and I go over and sit with them.

“Hey guys!” I say brightly.

“Hey Hazel, hey Toby,” Nancy and Duke say.

“Have you heard anything about what parts we're getting?” Nancy asks.

I shake my head. “Not yet. I don't think that we've had time. We've all just kind of been reading through the play and deciding what part we want, and trying out.”

“Well, I hope you get the lead,” Nancy says.

I smile at her. “Thanks, but the other classes may have already found out what they're doing.”

“Still,” Nancy says.

“I'd love that, but I try to tell myself I'm going to get the smallest part so I can be pleasantly surprised if I get a bigger part,” I say.

“That's a good idea. Have you seen what Adelyn is doing?” Nancy asks.

“Yeah. But at least he's single. Maybe that means she's finally gone through every single guy and been rejected,” I say.

Nancy nods. “Poor Colton though. I bet he feels awful being the last resort.”

“Hello class!” Lady Austin says, walking in.

“Hello, Lady Austin,” the class says.

“Now, you are the first class to find out what part you're going to get. So brace yourselves,” Lady Austin says. “Adelyn will play the maid. Colton will play the farm boy. Duke will play the peasant girl’s father. Hazel will play the lead peasant girl who the prince falls for, but she doesn't like. Jake will play a farm boy also. Kenna is another maid. Nancy will play the peasant girl’s mother. Toby, you will play the prince. Any questions?”

Everyone shakes their heads.

“Good. Now let's get started.”

For the rest of the class we read our lines around each other and try to get into character.

Next period is Physical Fitness. We play kickball today. So that's fun. It was girls against boys... Girls won. Oh yeah.

Last is Math. Exceptionally boring. I won't go into detail.

Afterward Toby and I head to the art room to help clean up the mess we started. Everyone else is already there.

About an hour later we're finished. Thankfully Lord Pembroke asked the dining hall to stay open later so we could eat. Toby and I get a two-seater table and eat our dinner.

We go to the ballroom, recreation hall, whatever you want to call it. We find Lexi, Luther, Wayde, and Emmeline there. They're just sitting and talking, but they look up when we walk in.

“Hey guys,” Lexi says.

“Hey. Mind if we make it a six-some? I think... How do you say that?” I ask.

Lexi laughs and says, “No, we don't mind.”