- 13 -

"You killed how many?" Kane asked. He had just emerged from the inner sanctum and received news from Tessa and her mother. Asher followed on his heels.

"Four," Tessa said.

"It's all we had time for," Danica said regretfully. "The sun got too low and the mirror wouldn't send a strong enough beam, as we discovered with the fifth. But there is still approximately a dozen left."

"And perhaps some newborns who'll awake tonight," Kane said. He looked at Tessa. "And you helped with this?"

"She most certainly did," Danica said a bit sharply. "My daughter has become quite stubborn. I don't suppose you can talk her out of going along tonight. I can't imagine what earthly use she can be when vampires and lycans face vampires."

Tessa's cheeks grew hot with anger. "Why not just say it, Mom? I'm useless because I can't shift."

"Tessa..."

"No, I don't want to hear it. You can all pretend it doesn't matter, but I know it does. I've known it since I failed to shift."

Danica sighed. "I just worry about you. You're my daughter."

But Kane's eyes had crinkled at the corners and he smiled at Tessa. "Feel better, my Valkyrie?"

"Much. And I'm not staying home tonight." She turned to her mother. "You said it yourself. If bloodlust overcomes the pack once the fight begins, they might not distinguish between vampires, but they'll distinguish me. I might be the only control you have."

Danica frowned but didn't deny it. "You can't keep up with us."

Another reminder. Boy, these reminders were being poured all over her today. But this time, she didn't cringe. She just gave her mother a steady stare. Just as she was about to mention that she could drive, Kane spoke.

"It will be my honor to carry her. She won't slow me down."

Danica rounded on him. "What kind of being do you claim to be, fighting to protect yourself and humans, but unwilling to protect my daughter?"

"I would give my life to protect your daughter, Madam Wolf, but I will not wound her by suggesting she is useless. She is not and never has been useless. Despite her severe injuries, she managed to fight off four vampires before they killed her. How do you think it is that I found her alive? Because she fought. And why is it that one of them came back to kill her later? Because they never intended to leave her alive, they simply waited until they felt she would be weakened by her injured."

Danica continued to glare at him.

"Did you not see her courage today?" Kane asked quietly.

After several beats, Danica sighed. "She has great courage."

"Indeed. So unless you wish this turn into a fight right here and now, I will carry Tessa with me into the battle."

"You will protect her?"

"Haven't I said so? In the end, however, it may be Tessa who protects me...or someone else."

Danica turned back to Tessa, her eyes dimmed and troubled. "I never wanted you to feel this way about yourself, Tessa. Never. We love you. But you have stepped out of the hierarchy."

Tessa swallowed hard as her throat tightened. She had just been told that in the most important way possible she was no longer part of the pack. They might still love her, but she no longer had a place. She blinked hard, keeping back the tears.