11

"Were you here all night?" Kari's voice was a bit hoarse and groggy from sleep.

Embry smiled down at her and moved her hair over her shoulder. "Yeah. It's technically afternoon, though."

Kari's eyebrows creased together. "What time is it?"

"Almost two," he answered simply. "Sam has someone else taking my patrol shift."

"Why?"

Embry shrugged. "I guess he thought we both needed the sleep. Training with the Cullens has screwed up everyone's sleeping schedule. Seth was up early and ready to go. I swear that kid needs no sleep."

Kari rolled her eyes. "Let's get some food. I'm starving."

Embry laughed and helped her out of bed after standing up. Emily was the only one in the house. She smiled at them before going back to her book.

"I don't understand why you're so nice to me," Kari said. She sat at the table with a bowl of cereal. "I get you made a promise, but that doesn't mean you have to try and be my best friend. Or spend every waking minute around me."

Embry shrugged. He had a plate with two muffins and what seemed like an entire box of cereal in a large bowl. "You're not as bad as you think. Definitely not as bad as Leah."

"It's not her fault," Kari said quietly. "I'd be frustrated with it all, too. She's gone through a lot with Harry dying. Nobody expected her to be a part of the pack. I know she can make life miserable sometimes, but it could be a lot worse..."

Embry just shrugged. When he left for patrol, Kari was surprised to see Jacob show up before rolling her eyes at the sight of Bella.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"The lee- Edward had some things to do," Jacob said. "I thought Bella could hang out with us for a while. She's coming to the bonfire tonight."

"There's a bonfire?" Kari asked. She looked at Emily. "What is he talking about?"

Emily smiled sheepishly. "I didn't want to wake you. Billy and Old Quil wanted to get the pack together. There's some stories they want to share."

Kari blinked and shrugged. "Okay. Who's going?"

"The pack," she answered. "Sue will be there with Billy and Old Quil. She's taken Harry's place on the council. Jared's bringing Kim."

"Can I come?" The question was out before Kari even thought about it. Though she was afraid of the wolves, and her fear often took over her mind, they were her family and she wanted to be a part of the things they did. Her own family hadn't been the closest, especially after her dad left.

Emily beamed, fighting back a laugh. "Of course."

Jacob's jaw tightened for just a few seconds, the way it did when he was upset. Kari didn't know what was bothering him, but she had a feeling it had to do with her. At least he still cared enough to get upset about something.  She sighed. "Jake? Can we talk?"

Jacob glanced down at Bella, who nodded in encouragement, and followed Kari through the backdoor. He stopped a few feet from the house. "What?"

"I hate fighting with you," Kari admitted. "You're my best friend. I don't like drifting apart. I want to go back to the way it used to be. I'll even sleep on your floor all night, if that's what it takes."

Jacob laughed, a small smile appearing. It was a familiar smile that Kari recognized. "You don't have to do that."

"Then what do I have to do to get my friend back?" she asked quietly. "It's weird not being close anymore. Embry's been staying the night with me instead of you. He's a great friend but it isn't the same."