Part One

A/N: This is all original, my own work. There will be dark themes including action and swearing. As it stands now, there won't be much more than that, but that might change later on.

Character aesthetics will be posted with chapters starting the next one.
The song for this chapter is "I'm A Mess" by Bebe Rexha.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this new book, Jade.

°oOo°

I stride through the dark alleyway, confidence and danger radiating off of me like light. My black hair swishes with each step as I draw closer to my target, ignoring the crowd of terrified onlookers.

My eyes are locked in my target and I can see the fear radiating off of him. Intimidating my targets always makes this process a little easier.

"Klaw," He stutters, his eyes.

I don't bother responding, instead choosing to lean forward silently. I look at him straight in the eye and clench my fist.

Fear and pain. Those are my powers, and right now, I am letting the fear ghost through him before returning right back to me. I don't want to scare him to death, so I keep his contact with fear to a minimum.

His small encounter with pure, undiluted fear leaves him screaming and sobbing.

Stonily, I stand and walk away, my dark hands clenching into fists as I glare ahead. The crowd gives me a wide berth, fear causing them to steer clear of me.

°oOo°

Now, I need to apologize. You see, half of that was a lie. What the crowd saw, not what really happened.

First off, my name isn't Klaw, like they all thought. I don't have dark hair or dark skin. I'm not tall and I'm certainly not that confident or badass.

To put it simply, I'm a professional con artist.

My name is Bryn Hunt, but I've gone by many, many names in my eighteen years of life. Currently, I've been using four main names, Ariel, Adrianna, Collette, and Klaw. Each name comes with its own personality, it's own look, and it's own purpose.

For example, Ariel is sweet, innocent. And probably way too obsessed with the color pink. I mean honestly, I don't even like the color. But "Ariel" does. If you were to see me on the street, you'd ignore me and keep walking like you would with everyone else. If you saw Ariel on the street, you'd fall all over yourself trying to help her in any way you could.

And now you're thinking, "Yeah, right. Sure. Like I would ever fall for that."

Don't fool yourself, I've seen grown men, sour old ladies, rebellious teens, and whining toddlers do the same. They all stop and help Ariel with anything she could possibly need or want. It's just how it goes.

Don't believe me? Fine. See for yourself.

°oOo°

I walk into the abandoned warehouse that I call home and quickly shower to wash the skin dye off me and lighten my skin. Once I am out, I change into another one of those awful pink and white outfits. Pink skirt, white shoes, white lacy shirt, and pink jacket.

Putting away the wig with the long, black hair, I waste no time before pulling on a new wig. This one has long, golden blonde curls that are died pink at the ends. Leaning closer to the mirror, I carefully slip in a pair of grey contacts. I slide a pink headband on and quickly do my makeup.