Part seven

After we left Pearl Harbor, we raced to Tinian, where the crate and tube were dropped off. It was the 26th of July, and the moonlight shone brightly.
We were told that the drop-off would be done at night, and we would spend the remainder of the night outside of the harbor, coming inside at morning. This was to confuse any spies that may be on Tinian.
As i understood it, we were supposed to make it look like the first time we had arrived at Tinian was the next morning.
As the crate was swung out over the side of the ship, i stood at the main deck railing. The crate lowered down onto the dock with a thump and a rattle, a sound that just stirred up the theories even more.
I smiled as my crew scurried around on the dock beneath me and the deck next to me. Captain McVay also stood below and was conversing with another captain. This captain was here to oversee the collection of the secret cargo. Once everything was off, the two captains shook hands and my captain boarded the USS Indianapolis once more.
The "the Indianapolis is on deck!" was whispered due to secrecy, but even tradition wins over secrecy sometimes.
I stood on the bow and let the wind and salty water break over me as we chugged out of the harbor. Sometimes, to keep entertained, I would hang off the anchor and see how close I could get to the waves. When it stormed was the best time to do this, as the waves would come crashing up next to me.
Being immortal had its perks.
But it also had its downsides.
I couldn't stop thinking about the Maiden of the Arizona. Being immortal means that she will forever have to remember the horrible way her crew and ship lost their lives. She would be forever stuck under the ocean, weeping amidst the corpses of her crew.
A shiver ran down my spine. I couldn't imagine a worse fate. As Maidens, we had a two options to choose from if our ship went down or was scrapped. We could remain with the peices of our ship, or we could be reassigned to another ship. I couldn't understand why the Arizona Maiden has decided to stay. Such a tragedy is best left in the past, although not forgotten.
I turned away from the bow railing and began walking back to the crew bunk rooms.
It was almost morning, and I had yet to perform my daily check over my ship and my crew.
As I walked across the deck, a cold presence followed me. The hair on my arms stood up. The ship swayed more violently than a moment ago, and an unearthly silence fell over the entire ship. I couldn't even hear myself breathe.
I turned around. There was no one. As I continued, I got the feeling that the cold was less from a "who" and more from a "what".
I had no idea what could cause such a feeling.
And I wasn't sure if I wanted to know.