Chapter Seven

Despite the fact that Clare was on a fast and brilliant horse, she was at the disadvantage for not knowing Roald's land. There were hills upon hills, wide plains of grass, and woods that seemed to have no end. Nevertheless, she rode her horse until it could ride no more.

            Clare had peered behind many times to see if anyone had followed, but they had not. She had gotten a head start, ultimately leaving Roald and his men no telling of which way she had gone.

            Her horse tired and Clare exhausted beyond relief, all she could do was take long, slow strides through the forest that she now inhabited. Leaves crunched beneath the horse's hooves, and Clare was clever enough to know that if her own horse's footsteps could be heard, so could another's. She found comfort in the fact that she could not hear anyone else around her, and pushed herself further, deeper into the brush.

            Her horse walked slowly for several long hours, as she let her eyes wander around her new surroundings. Only after those several hours, did she finally see an end to the sylvan forest. The elevation rose as she closed the distance between the end of the trees, and only when she had made it to the far edge, did she finally see a flat clearing amidst the many hills and forests that surrounded it. Among the clearing was a town, with chimneys burning and people shopping in the streets. It was a lively town, from what she could tell, and it would do well in order to keep her hidden from any distinctions that she might have. As long as she did not open her mouth to speak in her native tongue, then she would be fine. Still clothed in the attire that Roald had given her, she made haste on her horse down the hilly path towards the town.

            Only a few eyes peered up in her direction as she approached the entrance, but most ignored her or failed to notice her approach. Being as witty as she was, Clare walked through the town and first observed the people. They seemed cheerful enough, friendly, but she was not deceived. If they heard her speak, they would only think of her as a slave on a horse with a stolen gown, or an intruder. Either description would bring her down, and so, she walked with confidence but held her lips shut firmly.

            Clare tied her horse to a railing within the town, and went in search of food. She had managed to trade the fine necklace that she still wore from the night before, for bread and a cup of water. She had been careful to not scarf it down, even though she wanted to, because she knew that it would only gain her all the much more attention.

            Humming slightly at the feeling of a half full stomach, Clare made her way back to her horse. She froze upon turning the last corner of a building, as every limb in her body became stiff at the sight in front of her. Men on horses came rushing down the hills from the forests, and leading them, was no other than Roald himself.

            Clare dropped the cup from which she had been holding and wasted no time to run away from the men. She caught one last glimpse of Roald speaking to a man, and pointing at the horse that she had stolen from him, before sprinting away.

            Uncaring of her now obvious appearance to the townspeople, she pushed passed each and every one of them until she had reached the far end of the town. There, she jumped into a barn and was quick to cover herself with hay from within one of the horse's stables.

            She heard Roald and Torsten come near the barn, speaking in tongues that she only recognized to be Norse. Clare stayed still, despite the horse becoming uneasy by her barging into his stable. She hid beneath the hay until she heard their footsteps retreat, and the sounds of hooves.

            When she was sure they were gone, Clare did not bother putting a saddle on the horse from which she was closest to. She rode him bareback, grasping its mane and giving it a tug. Together, they bounded out of the barn and ran straight for the woods.