The First Letter of John

** The First Letter of John **

[1 John 1] {1:1} He who was from the beginning, whom we have heard, whom we have seen with our eyes, upon whom we have gazed, and whom our hands have certainly touched: He is the Word of Life. {1:2} And that Life has been made manifest. And we have seen, and we testify, and we announce to you: the Eternal Life, who was with the Father, and who appeared to us. {1:3} He whom we have seen and heard, we announce to you, so that you, too, may have fellowship with us, and so that our fellowship may be with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. {1:4} And this we write to you, so that you may rejoice, and so that your joy may be full. {1:5} And this is the announcement which we have heard from him, and which we announce to you: that God is light, and in him there is no darkness.

{1:6} If we claim that we have fellowship with him, and yet we walk in darkness, then we are lying and not telling the truth. {1:7} But if we walk in the light, just as he also is in the light, then we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

{1:8} If we claim that we have no sin, then we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. {1:9} If we confess our sins, then he is faithful and just, so as to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all iniquity. {1:10} If we claim that we have not sinned, then we make him a liar, and his Word is not in us.

[1 John 2] {2:1} My little sons, this I write to you, so that you may not sin. But if anyone has sinned, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, the Just One.

{2:2} And he is the propitiation for our sins. And not only for our sins, but also for those of the whole world.

{2:3} And we can be sure that we have known him by this: if we observe his commandments. {2:4} Whoever claims that he knows him, and yet does not keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

{2:5} But whoever keeps his word, truly in him the charity of God is perfected. And by this we know that we are in him. {2:6} Whoever declares himself to remain in him, ought to walk just as he himself walked. {2:7} Most beloved, I am not writing to you a new commandment, but the old commandment, which you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the Word, which you have heard.

{2:8} Then too, I am writing to you a new commandment, which is the Truth in him and in you. For the darkness has passed away, and the true Light is now shining.

{2:9} Whoever declares himself to be in the light, and yet hates his brother, is in the darkness even now.

{2:10} Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause of offense in him. {2:11} But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness, and in darkness he walks, and he does not know where he is going. For the darkness has blinded his eyes. {2:12} I am writing to you, little sons, because your sins are forgiven for the sake of his

name. {2:13} I am writing to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, adolescents, because you have overcome the evil one. {2:14} I am writing to you, little children, because you have known the Father. I am writing to you, young men, because you are strong, and the Word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one. {2:15} Do not choose to love the world, nor the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, the charity of the Father is not in him. {2:16} For all that is in the world is the desire of the flesh, and the desire of the eyes, and the arrogance of a life which is not of the Father, but is of the world. {2:17} And the world is passing away, with its desire. But whoever does the will of God abides unto eternity. {2:18} Little sons, it is the last hour. And, as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have arrived. By this, we know that it is the last hour. {2:19} They went out from among us, but they were not of us. For, if they had been of us, certainly they would have remained with us. But in this way, it is made manifest that none of them are of us. {2:20} Yet you have the anointing of the Holy One, and you know everything. {2:21} I have not written to you as to ones who are ignorant of the truth, but as to ones who know the truth. For no lie is of the truth. {2:22} Who is a liar, other than he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This one is the Antichrist, who denies the Father and the Son.