Chapter Forty Two

Jay

I looked at myself in the mirror with a feeling of relief yet anxiety. It'd taken me way too long to get to this point but today was the day that I was telling Eva that it was over between us. I was relieved that I was making a step towards my future with Bey and Shaq but I was anxious all the same because I didn't know what to expect from Eva and her family (as they were STILL here). The wedding was supposed to be in two days but I wasn't going to wait until we got to the aisle to tell her I didn't want to be with her anymore. 

Bey and I's night last night was amazing. The only birthday gift I wanted yesterday was my son and Bey and that was what I thankfully got. They made me see things in a different light and ever since Shaq came into my life I'd become more selfless. Bey was my forever and I couldn't see myself without her but I needed to break things off with Eva for good before I could give Bey what she deserved.

"Yo Jay,"my brother came in with his phone in his hand.

"What is it?"I asked him as I sprayed some cologne.

"Have you spoken to Eva since yesterday?"

"No, why what is it?"he looked at his phone once more and I heard a video playing with voices in the background.

"Have you even checked your phone?"he scoffed.

"Sammy what is it?"

My brother handed me the phone and I saw what he had been watching for the past minute. Eva had uploaded a video on Instagram of a restaurant being set up with the caption:

Wedding Rehearsal for a Carter Wedding💒💍 @shawncarter #myman #december7th

"What the fuck is this?! We never agreed to a damn rehearsal dinner because there was never meant to be one!"I kissed my teeth.

"Jay she's getting a dinner ready and you didn't even know? Don't you think she's doing this because she knows about you and Bey?"he brought up.

"I don't think she could've known but I've fucked up. I was going to tell her today that it's over. Man, if Bey sees this video then we'll go back to square one,"I palmed my face.

"Yeah you have,"he agreed. "Look at our family and tell me we don't deserve a happy ending. We grew up hard, you went to jail instead of college. Don't play yourself like this and don't play my nephew. If you're playing his mama and breaking her heart then how do you think he'll survive in this world with a mom who can't be strong for her and him? Treat her how you'd want a man to treat our baby sister. You know, it took Aliya almost losing her life in that shooting seven years ago to make me realise the hoes I had on the side aren't worth her. Imagine that shit bro. You've already lost her once, don't let it take a life or death situation before you open your eyes. You love that woman to the bones because if you didn't then you would be dressed right now. She's your forever, remember? And don't do this to Eva any longer. You don't want to be responsible for her mental health getting poor because you couldn't be honest,"I listened to every word Sammy said and took it in. He was right and I couldn't do this anymore. I didn't want to lose Beyoncé again and I wanted my family together.

"Thanks man. It's taken me too long to realise that,"I hugged my brother.

"You're my brother and that's what I'm here for, driving your ass into the right direction whenever you fuck up even though I've been meaning to give you a slap round the back of your big head,"we laughed. We heard a knock and Eva's father and Elijah came in.

"Shawn! Are you ready to go to the dinner?"her father frowned. It bewildered me how they were overbearing and didn't think anything of it. I didn't know what Eva told them but I wasn't agreeing to any of this.