One

A/N: If you have already read the first chapter, there have been some changes that will affect the rest of the story. If you have not yet updated this chapter, please do so and re-read if you think it's necessary. Thank you so much! :)

___________________________________________________

"The black keys never looked so beautiful..."
Black Keys by the Jonas Brothers

___________________________________________________

-Present Time-

It's a crisp fall evening in the month of November and I'm walking down the sidewalk in the grand city of Chicago. I have lived here all my life, but of course, I moved approximately a half an hour away from my family when I started college.

As of today, November thirtieth, two thousand and thirteen, I am nineteen years old, turning twenty on December eleventh.

The familiar frigid breeze the "Windy City" has to offer is pushing my long, light brown hair back behind my shoulders. I clench my teeth to fight them from chattering, tightening my grip on the strap of my laptop bag as well. The black leather gloves covering my small hands are doing a fine job at keeping me warm, for there is fur lining on the inside. I'm wearing a red pea coat, a gray knitted beret, black stockings, black high heels, and a short, flow-y black long sleeve dress that comes above my knees. I'm not very big on wearing clothing with prints on them. I prefer the neutral colors such as black, gray, taupe, beige, brown, and things like that. That's how a lot of the people dress here-- very chic and simple.

The lights from the buildings ahead give off more than enough light, causing me to think that it's still daytime. I'm used to it, though, because like I said, I've lived here all my life.

Tonight, I'm headed to a small diner about seven blocks away from my apartment in River North. I used to go there almost all the time, but now, I haven't been there in so long. It's a place that brings back a whole lot of memories that are hard for me to reminisce on even to this day. For some reason, I have the urge to go there. All I want to do is sit and think about how things are going to work out for me in the future. That's what I used to do, anyways. I have never gone there alone, so this was my first time.

Passing by the very few people on the street, I don't look at them the way I used to. I used to judge people by the way they dressed and looked, not by who they are. For the first seventeen years of my life, that's how I was raised. It's not necessarily the greatest excuse, but it's hard to transition from a stuck-up rich girl to a kind-hearted one.

I didn't make the transformation on my own, I had the help from someone who changed my entire life. It sounds a little dramatic, but it's true. Without them, I would probably still be depending on my family for money and living under their roof.

Finally, I have reached the corner of twenty-fourth and sixth, which is where the earlier mentioned restaurant is. It looks exactly the same to me. The same large windows surrounding the perimeter, giving a view of the booths covered with a deep red leather. The same bright white lights shining from the ceiling-- so bright that they lit up two feet of space surrounding the place. The same flashing red sign in the window that read "Open." The same black and white checkered tile flooring.

Everything is the same as it was two years ago. Everything except for the person I came here with in the past isn't with me.

I push through the glass doors, the strong scent of coffee filling my nose as it used to. There are very few people in here, not that there were many people ever in here anyways. I always wondered how this place still managed to stay in business after all this time.