Chapter Two: Challenging situations

3 months later

“Hey madam, did you apply for Delhi University? The cutoffs are going to come today.”

The last months after result had been quite boring, all the fun plans I had made had been dampened with the results. The friends who had topped were busy filling college applications, the one that hadn’t passed were busy crying over spilt milk and the mediocre like me were too busy worrying about their future. So when Mohit, one of the mediocre, called up asking if I had applied to one of the best university in India, I had to pull out words dipped in sarcasm.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I? I am sure I will be able to get economic honors in that top college whatever its name is. After all its not like I am some dumbass who has barely passed.”

“Okay, I get it. No need to get so defensive, I was just asking. Anyways dude you could probably get Sanskrit or something in north campus. Only if you had played sports you lazy girl or even danced or sang around like your friends.” I could tell he was trying not to laugh.

“You are the one who told me that I can kill babies with my singing. And I don’t think chicken dance counts as a dance form” Mohit was going to get a decent college due to him being into sports during school.

“I don’ think it does.”

“Really? And here I had been practicing my special chicken move day and night for Dance India Dance” I say so cheerfully loud, I am sure I burst his ear drums.

“Ah okay, if only you were an OBC, you could probably get a decent subject in a nice college with the bloody reservation.” OBC aka other backward classes and some scheduled tribes and casts have seats reserved in college, it is alright when it benefits the needy but when it is taken advantage of, it pretty much pisses off the people who don’t get any reservation like me.

“Well even if I was an OBC, I would flunk in anything except economics honors due to lack of interest.”

“You are getting economics honors in Delhi Uni in only one way and as far as I see your body is all well and fit. Very fit actually.”

“Shut up, no flirting between friends yaar. How does my fitness matters in college? ”

“They have very low cutoffs for visually and physically challenged students.”

“Say that again.” And that my friend was the moment I lost my mind and decided to do something so freaking crazy in retrospect.

“I don’t like your tone at all. Don’t even think about it. I am not breaking your legs.”

“Oh you innocent little boy, I am not getting my bones broken anytime soon.”

“Little and boy are not the words a man my age likes to hear. I am scared whether I want to know what you are planning or not.”

“Trust me you don’t want to know big guy.” I hung up, the devious plan already forming in my mind.

Seeing all of my friends going to different colleges, the idea of me stuck in my not so big-city wasn’t exactly lifting my spirits. Just put yourself in my place, wouldn’t you have done the same thing? Of course I don’t expect you to get such a brain-wave. So it wasn’t very surprising when I opened up Delhi University’s website a minute later.

I read up the admission procedure for blind candidates and thankfully they were supposed to fill the forms on spot. Now I just needed a corrupt doctor who could give me a blind medical certificate and of course one of those plastic walking sticks they use.

I pressed the call button twice on my crappy phone.

“Hey Mohit, so do you know any eye doctor?”

“I am not being your partner in crime especially when I am pretty sure there is crime involved. By the way the correct term is an ophthalmologist.”

“I am just going to take that as a yes.” I grinned evilly.