Confession

Not my edit!!

I was basically trying to walk back home without actually trying. All I felt like doing was lay in bed and contemplate my past decisions. But I knew if I went home right now, I'd have to face the boys who'd only say 'I told you so', and they did..I just didn't want to be rude to anyone by ignoring and avoiding them. But I definitely didn't feel like being around other people, not now.

While I was stubbornly strolling through the neighborhood, I turned my head and noticed the house I was passing. I stopped immediately. The Garcia-Shapiro residence..
I stood there for a while, thinking back to all the great memories Isabella and I had. I wish I'd cherished them before it was too late, but I guessed that was life. It wasn't fair, but no one ever said it was.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a truck drive away. It sounded like it was leaving my house, so I turned to see if we were having a package delivered or something like that. But instead, my heart stopped and my body froze in place. I saw her, sitting right there on the stoop of my house...I blinked a few times to make sure she wasn't gone after all.

She looked up and we made eye contact. It was then that all my overwhelming emotions hit me all at once; anxiousness, regret, guilt, fear, confusion, etc. She looked just as surprised to see me as I did her, she even frowned a bit. For once in my entire life, it felt as if she was a stranger.

I decided to be the brave one. Isabella already had to deal with 11 or more years of neglect and rejection, so she deserved more than an awkward silence. She deserved a guy who'd man up for once and talk, even if it was brief. I cleared my throat and stepped out into the street. "Whatcha doin?" I asked, chuckling. She just rolled her eyes and smiled. I sure missed that smile..

I made my way over to the stoop and gestured at the space next to her, "This step taken?"

She shrugged, allowing me to sit down next to her. "I actually came by to...say goodbye to you." She said, making my smile fade away. Guess it was instinctual, since in the back of my mind I knew she was still leaving..

"Off to school, huh?" I asked, anxiously tapping my fingers on the step. I hated feeling so nervous around her, but I knew why I did. She was about to say goodbye, and I had so much to tell her, but no idea how to say anything.

"Yeah. I'm going two weeks early because I'm an R.A., and in soccer, debate camp, student government..." She listed. I wasn't surprised, she was always an overachiever when it came to her academics. That was something I definitely admired about her, among her many other qualities.

I glanced at my feet, "Yeah. I haven't seen you all summer.."

"I've been busy." She said, leading to yet another awkward but brief silence.

I decided to gather up the last bit of courage I had. I'd already learned from my mistakes, there was no point in denying the fact anymore. "You know, Baljeet said something funny." I spoke, nearly choking on my words, "He said you had a crush on me back in grade school."

I saw a sheepish smile appear on her face. "Oh, yeah..I had a big crush on you." She admitted, keeping her focus away from me.

"Wow." I said in slight awe. It was one thing to hear the fact from the guys, but hearing it from Isabella was different. And it made my heart flutter in delight. "I had no idea.." I admitted with slight embarrassment.

"Really? I thought I was being so obvious!" She said, which was sort of a punch in the face for me. Even she knew her crush was obvious.

"Absolutely clueless," I said with my hand up, then I frowned apologetically, "Sorry.."