LGBT History

LGBT History

In this issue we want to give you a little more info on your LGBT history that you might not know. I hope you enjoy learning about some history you may or may not know.

-K.A. TheAlias-

_______________________________

Written by: Sky2012

Gotthold Enslin

Gotthold Enslin is an important part of history for the LGBT community, the army and society in general. He was the first person to be dismissed from the army for homosexual behavior.

Enslin was born in approximately 1740. He was thought to be from southern Germany, well educated and from a family of high standing. Enslin's name has also been recorded as Frederick Gotthold Enslin. He had no known spouse.

Enslin arrived on the ship "Union" in the port of Philadelphia on September 30, 1774. He arrived alone. He was in relative good health for a man in his late 20's, early 30's. Enslin lived in New Jersey before enlisting and being appointed a lieutenant in the Continental Army. His regiment camped for an extended length of time at Valley Forge.

It was at Valley Forge that Ensign Anthony Maxwell gave a report stating Lieutenant Enslin was caught in his quarters with Private John Monhort. The report charged Lt. Enslin with "attempted sodomy with a private".

Enslin called the charges slander against his character. Therefore, Ens. Maxwell was reported for "propagating a scandalous report prejudicial to the character of Lt. Enslin." However, the investigation into the report of "attempted sodomy" was pursued against Lt. Enslin and Pvt. John Monhort.

Evidence was brought forward and Lt. Enslin was found guilty of the charge "attempting to commit sodomy". Ens. Maxwell was acquitted and Lt. Enslin was also found guilty of perjury "in swearing to false accounts, found guilty of the charges exhibited against him".

Pvt. John Monhort had charges brought against him as well. However, nothing is known of what happened to him. Lt. Enslin's case was brought before General George Washington who sentenced Enslin to be dismissed from his post and the military service with "Infamy".

Enslin was officially drummed out of camp the following morning by all the fifes and drums in the army in front of the entire regiment and watched on by all the field officers. Not only was it humiliating to Enslin, it ensured that he would be recognized in the future if he ever tried to reenlist.

Enslin's coat was turned inside out before he was drummed from left to right of the grand parade, to the left wing of the army, to the centre and out of the camp with orders to never return. I believe Gotthold was looking for a new start in a new country and was excited to immigrate to America. He was an honorable man that enlisted to help serve the cause.

While his regiment was at Valley Forge for a lengthy period of time, I assume others had their "needs" met with girlfriends, wives, supporters or "ladies of the night" who travelled to Valley Forge or whom the soldiers met while on leave. I believe Gotthold tried to conduct his business privately in his own quarters, trying not to draw attention to his preference.

He may have been in a relationship with Pvt. John Monhort. When Enslin was reported for "attempted sodomy" he defended himself and Pvt. Monhort the only way he knew how, by calling the charges slander. Was it really anyone's business what happened in his private quarters?

Somehow, evidence was produced and then Enslin was humiliated in front of his regiment and peers, left thankless and never heard from again. Apparently, a closer look at the charges Enslin was convicted with can be read between the lines as "attempted rape". How utterly devastating for someone to be charged with such a crime.