Epilogue - That One Day of the Year

The sun was low in the sky when five cars pulled up in a line, one behind the other and out of each stepped a couple hand in hand. Each couple hid their eyes behind sunglasses and the grim set of their mouths indicated that this was not a joyous occasion but it was a necessary one. It was the one day of the year above all others when they remembered.

It was a strange day tucked in among the festivities of Christmas and the New Year celebrations. Was it a day to mourn a life lost or one to celebrate a life well lived? Sometimes it was a bit of both. Some years it was harder than others and tears fell more freely, other years the sound of laughter rang out freely across the expansive turf of the Good Shepherd Cemetery in Huntington Beach. No one knew before they arrived what each year's memorial would bring.

"You ready my little nest of vipers?" Zacky squeezed Kelly's hand and wrapped an arm around her. For him this year's reminder of his own mortality created a knot of anxiety in the pit of his stomach. He'd read far too many stories about the complications of pregnancy and childbirth to remain unmoved at this days evidence of the fragility of the human body.

Kelly rubbed her hand over her belly and felt comforted by the kick that was evidence of her baby's objection to the early start. "I'm good to go as is The Spawn here," she replied knowing that Zacky objected to her fond nickname for their unborn daughter.

It was evidence of Zacky's abstraction that he didn't mention the nickname and only asked, "Is she kicking?"

"Yeah, I think that she's training for the world cup," she winced at a particularly vigorous kick under her ribs.

Zacky rubbed his palm over Kelly's belly, "Come on baby girl. Let's go meet Uncle Jimmy."

They commenced a slow and purposeful walk across the turf.

Brian turned to Steph. "This is your second year for this Ace. How are you feeling?" It felt good to have the warmth of her body pressed against his side. He'd never imagined that he could have felt as happy with a woman as he had this past year with Steph. And now she was his wife. It felt good to have some happy news to share on such a sombre day.

"I don't think I can ever say I feel good about this but I'm happy to be here to support you as your wife just like you support me when I visit Ryan. I love you," she stood up on to tip toes to press a kiss to his lips. The almost imperceptible sound he made in the back of his throat whenever she kissed him never failed to make her stomach flip. Just like the way his calloused finger tips caressed her palm when he linked his hand with hers always made her want him. She was sure that Jimmy wouldn't mind that Brian had managed to ignite a tiny flame of lust in her.

"Let's go," Brian led her across the turf, "Zacky's already heading over."

"I'm cold," Johnny complained wrapping his jacket tightly around him.

"Baby it's not that bad," Lacey reasoned as she unravelled her scarf and wrapped it around his neck. Their long years together gave her the knowledge that it was useless to argue.

"We came from a tropical paradise to the depths of winter Lace, I think I'm pretty entitled to think it's bad. Come here and warm me up," he beckoned her closer.

"That was two weeks ago. Is this just an excuse to feel me up?" she worked to keep her face serious.

A smirk lifted the corner of his mouth. "Would I do something like that?" He clasped her fingertips and pulled her into his arms.

"Probably," she smiled as she nestled into his embrace.

"You're right as always, I totally would but today I just want to embrace the fact that all these years later it's still you and me babe. On this day, the anniversary of the worst day in my life, you're still here with me. So I want you close to me as we celebrate Jimmy's life because I think he'd be pleased that I haven't managed to fuck things up." He wrapped an arm around her waist and nuzzled her hair, he didn't care if it made him a pussy, she was his best friend.