01.18.09

A few hours into your and Andy's latest excursion, your phone buzzed with a text:

Like I fucking care. You should know by now that he's...

and then, right after, another one:

Hey girlie! How goes it?

You quickly sorted them out. The second, from your best friend who you playfully d̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ left at Warped Tour. The first, from your ex.

Shit.

With your insides shaking, you swiped the first message, reading it in full.

It was a long one.

Like I fucking care. You should know by now that he's batshit crazy and totally idiotic. You should know by now that you aren't gonna get anyone near my level LOL. Just let him know—and your eyes skipped over the vulgar insults, recuperating at the end of the message.

Peace, retards.

And your ex's name signed the text in farewell.

You swallowed past all the guilt and regret and secondhand smoke.

Wait.

You looked up, blue aquarium light illuminating both your sight and the person you were staring at. You nearly smacked the cigarette out of his hand.

"Andy!" you whisper-hissed. "You can't smoke in here!"

He held in the breath he just took, turning to you. For a moment, you thought he'd aim that smoke right at you, but he pointed it up at the high ceiling above you.

"What's wrong?" he asked in that deep voice of his. "You seem flabbergasted."

You were. A little bit.

"Ex just texted me," you said, tossing him the phone. He reacted quick, catching it with both hands (cigarette nestled between two fingers), and quickly read the message.

"'A coward who has nothing better to do than pray on younger dipshit 'fans'?" And, to your surprise, he laughed.

"You're..." Laughing?

Yep, he was laughing, for sure. You couldn't glare, couldn't truly be angry at your idol. But the sheer audacity...

"Andy..." You watched him bow forward, hand on knee and damaged lungs still laughing.

"Sorry, sorry. It's just funny. Don't pay any mind to me, darlin'."

"Darlin'?" You asked, face twisting in confusion.

"C'mon," he briefly tugged on your hand as he passed by. "Let's get a snack."

"We just had that pizza, tho," you said, watching him walk towards the gift shop.

"C'mon, princess," he said, and instantly your heart melted. "I'll buy you a narwhal."

Instantly, that damned song went off in your head, and you couldn't help but sing it as your fingers sifted through plushed aquatic creatures.

"Narwhals, narwhals, swimming in the ocean..."

With an adorable smile, Andy quickly caught on.

"Narwhals, narwhals, causing a commotion..."

Just hearing that song in his voice... Your heart swooned and melted at the same time.

Maybe today wouldn't be so bad...

——

You laughed out loud, your own soul cheering at the sheer fact that you could. You could experience happiness, and your own mind was quiet for the time being. No thoughts directed at your ex, that text still haunting the very back corners of your mind.