Part One

Chapter 1

I'm at the pharmacy store, where I work, stacking shampoo bottles on the shelf. Its been really slow this morning, there's only been two customers since we opened at 5am. Its now eleven.

"Last one," I say, placing the last bottle on the shelf.

I hook my pricing gun on my tool-belt and bend over to pick up the empty boxes. It's not easy to do this when I'm standing without my crutches.

"Let me get those," says my co-worker Dylan, coming towards me.

"Thanks," I say, picking up my crutches.

Dylan shrugs and takes the stack of boxes out of the aisle. I follow at a snail's pace. Crutches take time getting used to.

I didn't always have crutches, I only just recently acquired them. The doctor said I probably would never walk again. But by the grace of God, I recovered and moved from a wheelchair to crutches, plus I didn't need to wear casts anymore. Soon I'll be using a cane, if I keep getting better at this rate.

"All employees, please report to the manager's office for a staff meeting," says a voice the PA speaker.

I sigh as I turn around and start hobbling in the opposite direction. I'm in the office in time to see everyone else entering too.

"Now," says Miranda, the manager, offering me to sit. "I have some important news for Heather, as well as all of you. You all remember six months ago when Heather got in the middle of a shooting in front of the store?"

I wince at the memory and bite my lip. I'm still the talk of the town since that event. Everyone in the room nods. Dylan half smiles at me. I stick out my tongue at him.

"Well," Miranda continues, "the chief of police wants to award Heather for her bravery in attempting to save his son's life that day. I just got off the phone with him."

There's an applause in the small office. It's taking me a few seconds to process what was just said. I sit in the chair and cover my face with my hands. Its still hard for me to go back and think of that day, but that was a day to remember in a way. I gave my life to Christ that day. I pull my hands away and look at my co-workers.

"This is big," Dylan says, giving me a thumbs-up. "Right Heather?"

I nod my head slowly. "When?" is all I ask, not trusting my voice.

"This Friday," Miranda replies, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "At the fund raiser. The chief thought it would be appropriate for the event. He and his family have been giving this a lot of thought, ever since....you know, that day."

I exhale "If someone can give me a ride," I say, " it will be great."

One of the cashiers, Ellie, raises her hand quickly. Miranda motions to her.

"I can definitely give you a ride," Ellie says with a smile.

"Thanks Ellie," I say, pulling myself to my feet.

"Ok," says Miranda, clapping her hands. "That was all. Back to work, people."

I follow the group out of the office, but I don't go back to the front of the store. Instead I go the the locker room. I open my locker and pull out my bag. I take out my wallet, open it, and look at the picture. The picture of Daniel Harden, the chief's son. Its was the very picture he'd given to me the day of the event. He had given it to me right as the paramedics were putting us in separate ambulances. I never saw Daniel after I got out of the hospital. I know that he didn't make it, but I know he's in a better place. There wasn't a funeral, or a memorial. Maybe his family had him cremated. I clutch the wallet to my chest and close my eyes to stop the tears. If it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't have changed the way I did.

It's now Friday and I'm just about ready for the fund-raiser. The fund-raiser is for the police department because they've been in need of repair on their building, but they don't have the funds to do it. My town is the kind that helps not just the little old lady on the corner, but the entire community.

I'm looking at myself in the mirror. Normally I would go to one of these events in a dress and heels. But today I'm wearing a knee-length skirt with sneakers and my crutches. I have a copy of Daniel's picture taped to the frame of the mirror. I'm looking at it for a long time, my eyes are filling up with tears. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to keep my make-up from smearing. I'm taking deep breaths, trying to stay calm. Okay, I'm in control. I open my eyes.

I never knew Daniel, but we went to high school together. We were in all the same classes. Plus I've always serviced him at the pharmacy. He was always purchasing a box of hair dye. His mom was taking beautician classes and would practice cutting and dying hair on Daniel. One week he would have dark colored hair, and the next it would be bleach blonde.

I look at Daniel's picture for a little while longer before going to the frontdoor to wait for Ellie. As I'm sitting on the front step, waiting for Ellie. my mind is going back to six months ago. Back to the day I last saw Daniel.....