Chapter Twenty-Five

Twenty-Five

"We will find your watch."

"It's been two days." With as much confidence as I had after initially finding out my watch was missing, my confidence was dwindling. I could have left it at the restaurant while out with the family, or I could have lost it in the truck, or even lost it somewhere in the trash. Okay, in my defense, I think I would have noticed if I had thrown it in the trash. Something with so much value would not have vanished into the trash, and I would have realized if it had fallen in. Maybe it's at Gort's house from Halloweentown.

"Hey, I said we will find it and we will. Have a little faith." Tanner cornered me by the cedar closet, forcing me to stop searching in the linens.  I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath as Tanner's fingers ran the length of my face.

"Hey, I still didn't find your watch, but I found something." Tanner jumped away at the sound of my brother's voice and I pretended to keep looking in the closet before facing my brother.

"What is it?" I asked Ryan.

"Me!" Suddenly from around the corner, I spotted a very familiar, gentle face.

"Mom, you're here!" I ran towards her and snuggled against her, realizing just how much I missed her.

Her purse fell to the floor as her arms closed around me, shaking me left to right, confirming that she had missed me as much.

"So where's Uncle Rudolph? I was waiting to be welcomed by a nice host, but instead I was greeted by your brother, who clearly needs to take a hot bath with extra soap."

"Hey, I don't stink that bad!" Ryan defended, buht proceeded to check his pits anyway.

"Uncle Rudolph is on the back porch with his fiancée." I couldn't say her name without wanting to gag.

"Something wrong?" Mom asked.

I still couldn't manage to say Peach was cheating on mom's brother, but Ryan had no problem in saying it for me. Mom's face turned to one of shock and then acceptance, as if this tidbit of news wasn't as surprising as the rest of us assumed.

"I'm not surprised. After getting to know Peach, I always knew the possibility of this happening. If course, it's always a little shocking to hear it out loud, especially coming from my own kids. If you're sure of what you saw, then we will have to tell your uncle." Mom, needing a break from the drive over and the sudden bombshell of news, walked slowly to the living room with the three of us trailing behind her, following her as she sat on my uncle's favorite recliner.

"Good." I said.

"I'll tell him what you saw, but he might not believe just me. It's going to take all of us to show him the truth, but for now, let's try to keep the peace with Peach until we can get Rudolph alone." Mom told us.

"Sounds good." Ryan and both agreed with my mother, as which was seldom with the three of us. I felt bad that Tanner was being dragged into this, by he was by my side anyway.

As my mom continued to rest and get settled in as if it were her own home, Tanner and I continued to search for my watch, checking where we first started to check : in our bedroom - which my mom still didn't know we were sharing. Shh.

Tanner controlled his half of the room while controlled the side closest to the door.

"I had an image of my summer before college and looking for a missing watch and attending a wedding with a cheating bride wasn't on the list. I guess I can't complain about everything. The two of us have, well we..."

"Got closer? I agree. I wouldn't change this summer before attending UL."

"About that, Tanner. I applied to UL, but I also applied to college in Texas. I don't know where I want to go and nothing is set in stone. I just wanted the chance to experience new things."

"New things? You mean...new people?" He asked.

"No, no. That's not what I meant at all."

"It's okay, I get it. You're leaving." Without hearing me out, Tanner stormed out of the room, leaving me alone and in pain. My heart sunk to the floor, as well as my knees.

I wanted him to hear me out about this, but I never thought he's get the wrong idea. He was the one who was always pushing me to have better, and I wanted to go to a great college of my choice. I wanted to experience a new culture, a new place, but I never meant new people, like he wasn't good enough for me.

I had my own life to live, but wherever I was, it didn't mean I didn't want him in my life. He would always be a part of me wherever I went.

I decided to let him cool off before speaking to him again because I wanted the chance for the both of us gather our thoughts. I wanted him to listen to what I had to say before jumping to conclusions. 

I grabbed myself a glass of water from the kitchen when Tanner went outside, and the second I closed the fridge, Ryan was there sitting on the counter.

"Hmph." He managed to say out loud.

"What?" I said, chugging someone's open bottle of water.

"Nothing. I saw Tanner storming out of here and then you walk in looking constipated. Did something happen?"

"Nope." I said, popping the 'p'.

"You would tell me, wouldn't you?" He asked, too hopeful for his own good.

"Nope." With that, I walked briskly out of the kitchen and back into my room, wondering how everything could have gone all wrong.

It was bad enough I lost my watch and I now I was afraid of losing Tanner, too.