12. FUBAR

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” I ask as we jog deeper into the warehouse-like room.

“No,” Max says.

“Great,” I say, but under my breath. I don’t know these guys. In fact I am astonished that I’m not a complete wreck, crying in the corner. But I have found something and that is the will to live. I really want to get out of here. Although with that thought comes anxiety. If it is this bad in the airport then what is it like out there? I wonder if my little house is all right. Forget the house... What about my brother?

Not that I can check on him. He emigrated to Australia and now we only contact each other via skype...

“What about computers?” I ask.

Colin looks back with a curious expression.

“Can’t we use the computers to see what’s going on?”

Max shakes his head. “They’ve probably blocked the system.”

“We have to try,” I plead and I hate the whimpering edge to my voice.

Max stops and turns to me. “If we see a computer and if it has power you can check.”

Power... I forgot about the power. I feel a fool and Max’s angry gaze is making it ten times worse.

Colin ignores the exchange and goes toward a door. It has plastic windows and he looks out and then quickly turns his back.

“What?” I ask.

He just shakes his head. Max goes over.

“Shit.”

I start to walk over.

“No,” Colin says, stopping me.

“Let her,” Max says. “She needs to know.”

Colin sighs but lets me past.

I look through the scratched Perspex and I see them. Bodies. They are piled high, stacked like wood.

“Oh God,” I say. But I am using my eyes and trying to see the boy. The child that had screamed through my flight.

“I don’t see him,” I say.

“Who?” Colin asks.

“The boy.”

“Who?”

“The kid from the plane. In fact I don’t see any of them.”

Colin’s face is next to mine. “No, they aren’t there.”