Chapter Three: Taylor

Kidnap My Heart

Chapter 3: Taylor

I managed to explain to Emma that I was not, in fact, sexually attracted to fish before lunch ended. It was a good thing, too, since she dragged me outside as soon as the bell rang. I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to defend my personal preferences even if I’d tried to. She headed towards her car, still dragging me along without any attempt at an explanation.

“Emmy, where are we going?”

“We’re skipping sixth and seventh period,” she said nonchalantly.

I glanced over at Jack to gauge his reaction. Unsurprisingly, he was judging Emma hardcore. He didn’t approve of Emma’s hooky-playing.

“Why?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. “Wait, let me guess!” I loved guessing. I was horrible at it, but I loved it. Actually, this was the case with most of the things I liked… I lived a sad existence. “You got us a hot double date for tonight and we need time to get ready? Oh, my gosh, don’t tell me it’s those cute twins that always visit the guy next door!”

Our neighbor had these ridiculously hot friends that always came over, except they always managed to catch me at the worst times. Why couldn’t they show up when I looked hot? Instead, they showed up when I looked like an uncooked potato.

Emma rolled her eyes. “I never told you to guess. This is why.”

I wasn’t kidding when I said I was horrible at guessing. “Okay, I’m listening,” I said with a grin. Might as well save time by letting her go ahead and tell me. “Tell me!”

“My dad got us last minute VIP tickets to Paramore’s sold-out concert tonight.” Emma pulled two white-and-black tickets out of her purse and wiggled them in front of me with a proud smile.

I felt my eyes widen, my instincts telling me to reach out and touch the tickets, just to make sure they were real. “Nuh-uh!”

“Would I lie to you?” she asked, looking kind of offended.

“Actually, you would.” I laughed and pulled out of her grip, climbing into the passenger seat of her car. She didn’t say anything, probably because she knew it was true. I knew her better than she knew herself.

I settled in my seat and heard Emma ask Jack to drive my car over for us. I wasn’t about to protest. I was more likely to wreck my own car than Jack was. He drove like a turtle most of the time, at least when he was around us. I had a feeling he turned into a speed demon when he was alone. I bet he even role-played like he was a part of the Fast and the Furious when no one was around.

“How did your dad get these tickets?” I asked once we got on the road. “That concert was sold out way before we even found out about it.” I’d wanted to go, but I hadn’t found out about it early enough. Concerts like that sold out pretty quickly.

“I don’t know.” Emma shrugged. “He’s my dad. He just got them.”

Emma’s dad was basically Jesus. I knew that was kind of un-Christian of me to say, but it was pretty much the truth. There wasn’t much he couldn’t do if he set his mind to it. He’d single-handedly transformed his business from one that was in the middle of its downfall to one that was perpetually at its peak. The guy was a genius.

“Is there anything your dad can’t do?” No. No, there was not. “Holy crap. I’m so excited now! What time does it start?”

Emma made a quick turn and said, “It starts at eight, but we meet the band at six, and it’ll take around an hour to get there, so we should be ready before five.”