Chapter Fifteen~A Rescue Mission

“Perce, to your left!”

The warning came without a moment of hesitation on Marianna’s part. With her sword, she spun and swung it in an ascending arch to clash against Phillip’s opposing blade. The force of the older man’s attack nearly brought a grimace from Marianna, but she bit it back. With her foot she aimed her kick at his ankle, which caused him to stagger. She took the opportunity to swipe her foot in a wide arch around his ankles, and watched as he collapsed on his rear.

Her sword was still in ready position, and a good thing too. In the next moment Edward had called Andrew, a mate only two years Marianna’s senior, and they locked into battle.

In the past three months that preceded their wreck on the island, Marianna had trained fiercely with her weapons whenever the chance was given. The crew had taken notice at the seventeen-year-old’s dedication to her blade, and had quickly jumped in. Turns would be taken until she was drenched in sweat and could fight no longer. They had been surprised though, at how quickly her skills were coming along. She had pristine instincts that allowed her to create her own methods of defense and offense while also keeping in mind the knowledge that her peers had gifted to her.

She used her agility and flexibility to her advantage almost instantaneously. She would bend at odd angles that the crew would grimace at, then right herself and strike without even taking notice.

In fact, as soon as Andrew had leapt into battle to strike, she bent backward to dodge the thrust of his blade. She up righted herself once more and twirled in a blurry three-sixty to build up momentum, which would turn into force when she swung her blade. And it did just that. She tucked her arms close, then spun, ending the move by lashing out with her charged sword and slamming it against Andrew’s blade. The momentum and raw strength (though lesser than his) managed to knock the blade from his grip, and let it soar through the air to land up right in the sand a few meters away.

Andrew stood stunned at the attack. Marianna’s breath came out in heavy bursts due to her absolute fatigue from her constant exertion.

Edward let out a low whistle. “That one’s new.”

“Thanks for noticing.” Marianna straightened from her position, sheathing her blade as she did so. She lifted the front of her shirt to wipe her sweat-bathed brow, and then tucked in a piece of chestnut hair back underneath the scarlet cloth tied around her head. It concealed her hair’s length, which had recently grown an inch or two in length. She’d have to cut it soon, she realized.

“You’ve come along nicely.” Phil said as he rose to his feet and dusted off the sand.

“Aye. Your stamina is impressive.” Edward added, to which Marianna tipped her head in thanks.

She chuckled lightly at their praise. “Flattery will get you nowhere, lads. But your thanks is appreciated, nonetheless.”

The members in the circle sheathed their weapon. With a slight shake of the head and a chuckle of disbelief, Andrew strode along the sand to retrieve his blade. As Phillip and Edward returned to camp, Marianna watched the second youngest crew mate.

“It’s not my place to say,” she called out, drawing the boy’s attention. “But your grip is loose.” She strode over to the younger one with a warm smile, to which he met with a determined brow.

“Aye, Capt- I mean, Perce.”

She blinked for a moment, taken aback by his slip of the tongue. Captain? Did he really mean to say that?

She shoved it off though, deciding that it would only be natural for him to slip up after months of her taking the position of one. Nonetheless, she wondered what Carlisle would say to such a slip of the tongue.