Remus and Lily

Two weeks passed.

At first, Remus had thought that distancing himself from Freya might help. That way she wouldn't accidentally find out.

He tried not talking to her as much, he tried not going to the library at times when he knew she would be there.

But it hadn't worked. They saw each other too often around the castle. In classes. In the library. So Remus had given in.

Remus was now able to walk freely again, and he and Freya were sitting in the library reading. In the background, soft whispers of students between the bookcases could be heard over the soft pour of rain as it bounced off the glass of the windows.

Remus peeked up from over his book to watch Freya. She was buried deep in her book, her eyebrows were furrowed in concentration, and she was nibbling her lip. 

Remus closed his book and put it down on the table, but she was so deep in her own world that she did not notice.

"Freya?" Remus asked.

She shook her head in confusion at being drawn from her concentration before her deep brown eyes met Remus's. She smiled softly, giving him her full attention.

"There's going to be a meteor shower tonight." Remus said, resting his arms on the table and leaning across a little. He nibbled his lip in nervousness, which Freya pretended not to notice.

Her eyes lit up in excitement and she gasped.

"Shall we go watch it?" Remus asked, trying to sound casual. He picked up his worn leather satchel from the floor and put his book in it, trying to hide how brightly his cheeks were glowing pink.

"I'd love to! When do you think is the best time to go?" She asked, although she already knew the answer, being a Ravenclaw bookworm.

It was the heart of Winter, so it got dark pretty early now.

"Shall I meet you at the bottom of the Astronomy tower at 10?" Remus asked.

"That sounds like a plan!" Freya exclaimed, smiling at Remus and lifting her bag from the floor.

He watched as she pulled out a star dial from her own satchel, studying it and changing the dials until she had the right settings before sliding it across the table to Remus.

Remus looked at all the beautifully intricate hand-painted constellations that would be visible tonight and smiled to himself over the fact that Freya had not only hand painted a star dial but that she carried it around with her.

Shortly after, the pair left the library to head to The Great Hall for dinner. Once they walked through the large wooden doors, they parted as Freya headed towards the Ravenclaw table, and Remus walked in the direction of the Gryffindor table to join James, Sirius and Peter, who were all waiting for him.

"And what time do you call this young moon?" Sirius asked through a mouth full of potatoes.

"Oi, leave him be Padfoot, he was probably just snogging his girlfriend in a cupboard somewhere." James butted in.

"Not our innocent little Moony!" Sirius exclaimed, his hand over his chest in fake shock.

"She's not my girlfriend! And speaking of not girlfriends, here comes Lily." Remus added, buttering a piece of bread to dip in his soup.

James started to brush over his hair with his hands and sat up a little straighter as Lily Evans approached.

"Lily, could you help me with something later?" Remus asked as Lily walked past the four boys on the way to her group of friends.

"Of course Remus, the usual place after dinner?" Lily asked, warmth radiating from her smile.

Remus nodded, his mouth full of bread, and Lily walked away.

James scowled at him from across the table.

"What was that for?" James whined.

"I need the brightest witch of our year, who also happens to be female, to give me some advice." Remus answered, dipping another piece of bread into his soup.

"I can give you girl advice!" James exclaimed.

"Yes. Because all of your advances on Lily have worked out." Remus joked, kicking James's foot under the table.

After dinner, Remus waited for Lily in front of the fireplace in the Gryffindor common room. He listened to the crackling of the fire, and laughter of first years out in the corridor. Remus closed his eyes and felt the warmth of the fire on his cheekbones. Then he heard telltale footsteps approaching.

"Boo!" Lily exclaimed.

"I could hear you coming Lily." Remus said, opening his eyes and leaning back in his chair.

Lily plonked herself down onto the sofa across from Remus. Her auburn hair glowed in the warm light of the fire and her eyes glistened with concentration.

"Tell me about Freya." Lily began.

Remus reached into his pocket and felt around until he found what he was looking for.

"Okay, but first, you'll need some of this." Remus replied, pulling the chocolate bar from his pocket and beginning to unwrap the foil.

Remus explained all there was to be explained about Freya. He told Lily her background, where she was from, how they met, and then his worries.

"What if she finds out?" He asked, worry evident in his eyes.

"Finds out what?" Lily asked, nibbling away on the last square of chocolate.

"What I am." He said, his voice pleading.

"Look Remus. Do you remember how I found out? How I didn't care one bit? Apart from for your health."

Remus nodded, memories swimming in his mind.

"I have no doubt that if Freya is all that you say she is, she won't mind one bit either." Lily comforted him, wrapping her arms around his awkward frame. Remus relaxed a little at the warmth of one of his best friends and melted into her arms, closing his eyes.

"Thank you, Lily. You're always there for me."