The Tournament Begins

Being a princess meant Priscilla was inherently well liked and popular among the city's upper class. At the end of the day however, she found solace in spending time with those who lived modest lifestyles. It was as if the weight of political hierarchy was lifted, and she could be herself and speak her mind as she pleased. Her most trusted advisers, caretakers, and friends were Marie and Aurora, two twin girls who had lived their whole lives within the city walls. As they helped Priscilla brush her hair they could sense the rapid tapping of her feet and the quivering of her arms as the hour drew closer to the tournament start.

"My lady you need not worry, I have heard that the princes who have arrived are very handsome and strong."

"I know, they must be given the circumstances."

"What does that mean?" Marie asked.

"To be a prince means to have the world at your fingertips. Even if their kingdom is starved to the brink of death, they will never go hungry. And by the end of this week I'll be forced to marry one of them."

"My lady I'm sure that your fate is not sealed, you will soon be the Queen of a great nation."

"And what is the duty of a Queen, Aurora? You spend your life simply acting figurehead, a status symbol, and an object by which a king may have sons to begin his lineage. I will have my life set for decades, but will I really be living?"

"My Princess, you are much more than what they might view you as. You have compassion and understanding. You're strong and fierce, and when you go out the palace gates you will show them what they are really fighting for, not the throne or the glory, but for you."

For the first time all day, Priscilla felt a wave of comfort in their words. There was a knock at the door and the voice of a kingsguard.

"Princess Priscilla! The time has come for you to meet your suitors!"

She quickly embraced her friends, and they saw her off. King Simon joined her as she walked out of the palace gates, holding her hand and guiding her down the steps.

"You look beautiful as ever, your mother would have been proud of you."

As she descended, she closed her eyes and whispered to herself "they fight for you," once more, just to reassure herself. It was time to finally time to meet the five men who would change her life forever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I swear on mi mum, I'll end you!!"

Zayn and Liam's arms were locked in place, both of them trying to gain the upper hand in the impromptu wrestling match that had started over a land dispute. They looked less like seasoned warriors and more like children fighting over the last chicken tender. Nevertheless, the crowd of soldiers and bystanders cheered as they flailed their legs in random directions trying to topple one another. From behind the crowd, someone shouted

"Mayeth you please procureth me a waffle?"

The crowd roared with laughter.

Zayn shouted at Liam,

"Your shaved head makes you look like an egg!"

Liam retorted at Zayn "yeah well at least it doesn't look like a helicopter landing pad got hit by a tsunami!"

To say that Priscilla was shocked would be an understatement. The tournament hadn't even begun and the contestants were already ready to throw down their dignity to have the last word.