Chapter 6

"Karthik was having an affair with his colleague. That's why Anitha left him," Geetha said. We were sitting on chairs in the open front courtyard of our residence. It was a cold Sunday night of Neyveli.

Full Moon was shining well above the eastern horizon. It was intimately romancing with Rohini star. There was very little traffic on the road. Geetha was in her favourite sandalwood colour saree.

"How do you know? Did Anitha tell her mother?"

"No. Padma told Swetha today."

"Who is Padma?"

"She is the owner of the house. Swetha called Padma today."

"Okay. How did she know? What does she know?"

"We don't know. But she says she has seen Karthik with a girl many times in public places. She says she also knew that girl."

"Who is she?"

"She is working in Karthik's office."

I was silent for a while.

"What does Swetha say?"

"She is very much worried. Anitha had said marriage was over."

"So?"

"They are planning to consult a lawyer tomorrow."

"For what?"

Geetha looked at my eyes. "What else? Divorce. After divorce we'll arrange for remarriage."

I was looking at the Moon. It was playing hide and seek with sparse passing cloud. Rohini was trying to shine in the proximity of floodlight of full Moon.

"Why doesn't Ram talk to Karthik?"

"Anitha doesn't agree."

"What do you think?"

"I don't think there is any other way."

Moon was cruising towards the zenith. Rohini was also closely following. She is not going to leave her lover.

"What do you think?" Geetha asked me.

I was still looking at Rohini. "Today Rohini may not leave Moon. Tomorrow she'll have to."

Geetha clarified, "I asked your opinion about Anitha's remarriage."

"Let us see if it will be required."