Chapter Thirteen

Hermione awoke before dawn the next morning with her stomach in knots. She felt like this every morning before she visited her parents and the blow out with Ron hadn't helped anything. She knew deep down that their break-up was for the best. Their relationship had not been easy, they spent most of it fighting and bickering. She quickly dressed, with a frown on her face, and left her bedroom, nervously trying to smooth down her shirt.

Draco was sitting in the common room alone, lounging on one of the sofas, hair askew, reading a book. She had grown used to seeing Draco awake at all hours. She wondered if he even slept at all. Perhaps he was part vampire, she mused.

"Good morning Granger," he greeted happily.

"Morning Malfoy." Hermione mumbled back, surprised at his enthusiasm.

"Where are you off to this morning?" he asked with a wide grin. He asked her this every time he saw her leave the dormitory early in the morning and she always replied with the same excuse.

"To the library." She lied as she quickly made her way across the room to escape.

"Wait! I'll come with you."

Hermione turned to look at him, eyebrows raised in disbelief, the confusion clear upon her face. He had never once asked to join her before. He had a huge smile on his face as if he was playing a game. He seemed to find her expression even more delightful as his grin widened.

"Uh, I was planning on studying alone." Hermione quickly tried to come up with an excuse.

Draco rolled his eyes. "I didn't ask to study with you. I'm just also heading to the library."

Hermione couldn't think of any other way to get rid of him. She reluctantly left the dormitory and started walking towards the library with him.

"What are you studying today?" he asked in that infuriatingly upbeat voice.

"Uh, I have to finish my Arithmancy essay," she answered quickly. They didn't have that class together, so there was no chance he would be able to try and study with her. She could hopefully sneak away when they got to the library.

His grin widened again, Hermione noticed. "Okay Malfoy, what's with the smirk?"

"Why are you lying to me Granger?" he asked seriously, looked like he was fighting hard to not smile.

Hermione's face fell. How could he have found out about her parents? Only a few people knew and she trusted them not to tell. She even managed, with Shacklebolt's help, to keep it out of the papers. "I'm not lying," she denied weakly.

Draco smirked, "you're an awful liar you know," he paused, enjoying making her squirm. "How do you expect to work on your essay when you didn't bring your school bag?" he raised his eyebrows at her.

Hermione stopped in shock. That seemed like a huge oversight on her part. She was surprised Draco had been observant enough to notice. She didn't know what to say. He obviously had known she was lying so it seemed ridiculous to keep trying.

"I just have something private to do."

They both stopped, turning to face each other. "Every Saturday or Sunday morning?" he asked with that same infuriating smirk. She considered lying again but he saved her the trouble by interrupting her before she began. "You never bring your bag. Besides, I overheard Padma mention that the library was always completely empty in the morning which is why she studies then. She usually leaves the common room within 30 minutes of you on the weekends. What gives Granger? What are you actually up to?"