Chapter One

... Harry ...

I had only just finished sliding a beautiful novel with a worn leather cover into it's slot in one of the many shelves covering the walls, when I heard the familiar ding of the oven timer.

I scurried into the kitchen, and tugged on an oven mit before pulling the oven open, and lifting the pan of almond flavored cupcakes onto the counter. Tossing the mit back into the small basket full of different colored and patterned pairs which Niall had bought for me since I opened the shop.

I heard the bell ring, signalling that someone had entered the building. I didn't have to wonder who it was for long. Speak of the Devil, and he will appear, as the saying goes.

"I heard this place gives free blow jobs after noon, yes?" Niall shouted as he kicked his shoes off next to the front door.

"You must be mistaken, that's the music shop my best friend works at." I said as he appeared in the doorway.

Niall snorted. "That's not what the sign I put in your front window says."

I shrugged, and began taking the cupcakes out of the pan, setting them on one of the cooling racks.

Niall lifted himself onto the counter next to me, and rolled his eyes as he told me, "I'm getting really sick of having to explain what the fuck this place is. 'Is it a book shop, or a bakery?' Well sir, only one would most definitely make sense, but because me best mate is an indecisive wanker, it is indeed, both."

I glared at him as I moved to retrieve the powdered sugar to make the frosting. "It's creative, and unique."

"Your mum told you that, didn't she?" Niall chuckled.

I huffed as I slapped some butter into a pan to melt. "Maybe. That isn't the point, though. The point is that there isn't anything like it around here. Which makes it nice."

Niall put his hands up in mock surrender. "Now, now, don't get too worked up. I don't want to face an angry hipster." He gazed out the window, and gave an exaggerated shudder. "Terrifying." he whispered.

I grabbed the towel from my shoulder, and whipped him in the leg with it. Then I turned on the radio in an attempt to shut him up. I hummed in satisfaction as the sound of Settle Down, by The 1975 escape through the speakers.

Niall groaned, throwing an arm over his face. "Why the fuck do I hang around this place?"

"Because it's creative, and unique." I smirked.

He dropped his arm to glare at me. "I hate you."

I spooned some brown sugar into the melted butter, ignoring him. I softly sang along with the radio as I poured the karo syrup into the pan.

I hate to agree with Niall, but my shop is, in fact, a bit odd. After two years of college, I realized that I didn't actually want to be a lawyer after all, and dropped out to follow my two passions; baking, and literature.

I found a nice little building with two decent sized rooms and a hallway on the lower level, and a large, open room on the top level. It was a bit rundown, but that didn't bother me. So I bought the place, spent several months fixing it up, with Niall's much appreciated help, and that was that.

The room off the right of the hallway is the bakery portion of the shop. There's four round, pretty tables with matching bar stools at seats. A long front counter with glass cases and shelves to hold the treats, and a long back counter, a refrigerator, and an oven behind it, which is where I do the baking.

The room on the left side of the hallway is the book area. The walls are lined with shelves which are filled with books. Nestled away in the corner of the room is my little check out counter. Simple, but nice.