When Audrey Met Kaitlyn -- Part 2 (Conclusion)

PART 2 (Conclusion)

"What are we drinking?" she asked, slipping onto the barstool to the other woman's left.

Looking to the right, Audrey inhaled quite sharply. She hadn't been there long, but already she had spotted at least two dozen incredibly attractive women. Compared to the one seated beside her none of them mattered. She was...a masterpiece. Forcing her brain to work, she wracked it for a reply. "Um, I'm drinking a dirty martini. Don't know about you."

"What makes it dirty?"

Mouth opening and closing, Audrey blinked more than was necessary. Was that flirting or did she truly care to know? Since she didn't notice any mischief on that beautiful face, Audrey selected to answer. "A splash of olive brine or olive juice is added to make a martini dirty. It changes the color and taste." True, she wasn't much of a drinker, but as a writer who loved research, a novella she finished a few months back revolved around a main character who was a crackerjack bartender. During the creation of that story Audrey learned all she could regarding bartending and alcoholic beverages. She felt proud when the woman seated beside her looked impressed.

"Cool. So you prefer it dirty I take it?" One green eye winked at her.

That had to be flirting! Audrey cleared her throat as she felt her cheeks heating. "Whenever um, I have martinis, which isn't often. I don't consume alcohol much."

"Neither do I. Nine times out of ten I'd rather drink a--"

"Coke on the rocks, boss?" One of the bartenders on duty asked, coming to stand on the other side of the bar before them. Tossing a towel over his shoulder, he split a charming smile between the pair. That smile which showed perfect teeth would probably earn him hundreds in tips that night.

His boss smiled back at him. "You know me already. Thanks, Thomas." When he moved away to take care of her drink order, she refocused on Audrey. "Swear I didn't plan that."

Audrey chuckled. "Didn't suspect that you did." Grabbing the tiny plastic spear running through an olive, she swirled it through her drink. "Boss? Are you the owner of this establishment? Kaitlyn Brewster?"

She grinned. "Why? Were you searching for me?" A tall glass that contained crushed ice, Coca Cola, and a couple of stemmed maraschino cherries placed before her on a cocktail napkin with the name of her nightclub printed on it, she thanked Thomas. Leaning forward, she took a sip through a bright red straw.

"Not exactly, but...not sorry that I found you. Or you found me." Audrey yearned to pick up that glass just to press it against her warm face.

"Yeah, I saw you first." Kaitlyn pointed toward the upper level. "From up there. Had to come see you."

Audrey attempted to ignore the butterflies beginning to stir within her tummy. "Why?"

"I was enchanted the moment I realized you existed." Taking advantage of her speechlessness, Kaitlyn stood, extending a hand to her. A gentle smile settling on her mouth, she stared into the most gorgeous light blue eyes. "May I have this dance?"

"Oh...I um, I'm not much of a dancer."

"Neither am I, so we can look foolish together."

Laughing, Audrey swiveled around on the barstool. "How could I possibly say no to that?"

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Six songs later, four of which were thankfully slower numbers, Kaitlyn suggested that they take a trip to the roof for some fresh air. When Audrey appeared the slightest bit alarmed, she promised not to bump her off the edge, which garnered her a laugh. Having grabbed a bottle of chilled champagne from the bar, Kaitlyn filled two flutes that were placed on the ledge.