Chapter two

Chapter two.

Rose felt around in the darkness trying to make sense of her surroundings. Lights turning off randomly? On the Hogwarts express? That surely had never happened before. Her hand softly came in contact with Julia’s arm.

“Rose? Is that you?”

“Yes. Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. Just a tad shocked. I don’t think anyone got hurt though.”

Rose could feel Julia’s muscles, tensed and shaking lightly, under her hand.

“I’m good”

“I’m fine”

“Yes, I’m okay”

The other girls in the cabinet muttered a small chorus of okays. Rose breathed a sigh of relief. In all her panic she had forgotten about everyone else, and knowing that they were there, and okay, soothed her fear. She thought about what happened and realized, the lights had just turned off. It wasn’t like anyone was attacking the train. For heaven’s sake, it was probably just the wind or something creating turbulence. She laughed at herself. Way to get worked up over nothing.

“Do not worry Hogwarts students, all problems have been dealt with, and we will be arriving at the school in around ten minutes. There are some technical issues with the lighting, so please user your wands to enhance vision. Younger students that don’t know how to cast light spells, please ask your older peers, or nearest teacher for help.”

The loud, booming voice echoed through the train again.

Rose reached into her pocket and felt around for her wand, lost in thought. She had been right. There really hadn’t been any serious problems. Yet she had reacted so….. Oddly. She guessed it must have been from all the mysterious stories her parents had told about their time at Hogwarts. Maybe that gave her slight paranoia. Yet, she was so certain that there had been something attacking the Hogwarts Express….

“Lumos”

A small circle of light bust from the tip of Julia’s wand, pulling rose from her thoughts. Her hand finally made contact with her wand, so she quickly pulled it out. The thin long wooden stick felt comfortable and safe in her hand. She remembered getting it so well.

 They had been in Diagon Ally (which was still being furiously worked at by a small army of work wizards) and wandered over to Olliviander’s wand-shop. Oliver’s wand-shop. She corrected herself. Oliver Wood’s wand-shop. Everybody still mixed those two up, even though it had been years since Oliver had taken over the old store. She remembered how she had tried out tons of wands, but none had clicked. How Oliver had taken a wand from the depths of his store and handed it to her. How it had sparked the moment she touched it. Laughing Oliver had told her “Rosewood, ten inches, sturdy, fairy wing core. A graceful wand for a powerful caster.” She had laughed too. Of course it just had to be a rosewood wand.

She curled her fingers around the simple, yet elegant curve of her wand. Pointing it at the sky she whispered “Lumos”. She could feel the tiny trickle of energy that traveled from her body to her wand, and immediately a bright sphere erupted from the tip of the wood.

The others in her cabinet mirrored her spell, and soon the small room was filled with a soft, beautiful glow.

“Well we should probably change” Julia said cheerily, as though nothing had happened at all.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Rose muttered reaching up to grab her trunk. She pulled it down and opened it. Her silky blue and black robes greeted her like a friend. Smiling, she pulled them on.