Part Dodici (Twelve)

A/N: This is chapter twelve, which should you should read before Part Tredici (chapter thirteen). Wattpad mixed up the chapters, sorry. 

I woke up the next morning genuinely happy. It was a strange feeling, waking up that way. For the past three weeks, every morning began with a sigh. I always felt disappointed when I opened my eyes to see a new day, knowing that it would only bring more problems and more stress. But not today.

Today was a good day.

Joey was in the kitchen when I woke up, not cooking - fortunately - but I could hear him opening the fridge, the cabinets, scavenging for food. I woke Latara from her peaceful slumber, and shockingly she didn't make a sound. She just stared at me, smiled at me when I smiled at her, giggled when I rubbed my nose against hers. She felt it too, the happiness in the air. How simply okay things were. It was a rarity for us lately.

"Joey?" I called to him.

"Hey, you finally woke up!" He emerged from the kitchen with a grand grin. "Finally."

"Why were you waiting on me?"

Latara, who was always overjoyed to see Joey since we first met him, gasped and reached for his hold. He took her from my arms, bouncing her and kissing her and making all the funny faces that I was too lazy to make. At least not this early in the morning.

"I need breakfast. I went out and bought all the best foods this morning, but I can't cook them." Joey sighed. "Can you cook them?"

"You've come to the right person," I teased. Joey rolled his eyes and followed me into the kitchen with Latara. Endless breakfast foods were laid out on the counter, some of which should have probably been placed in the fridge a long time ago. I let Joey put Tara in the stroller while I made them breakfast (mashed bananas with toast fingers for Latara and scrambled eggs and sausages for Joey). I fed her the food at the table, using the stroller as a high chair, and fed myself my own breakfast in between her bites.

"Is it good?" I asked Joey. He licked his fingers and shrugged.

"It's great, as usual." He picked up his plate and carried it to the sink. "You should be a chef."

"No, I don't think I'd do well. I only cook because I have to, being an only child. Some days my parents worked late and it was up to me to make dinner."

"Yeah, I can relate. I think all kids go through that." Joey laughed. He washed off his hands after putting our plates away and leaned against the kitchen counter. "You have any plans today?"

"Plans? No, I have no parties to go to, no friends to meet up with."

"Well I was thinking we could take Latara to the mall. It'd be fun for us - for her. What do you think?"

I was never one to turn down the mall, especially if I wasn't spending my own money. But this was about the millionth favor that Joey had offered me in the little time that I knew him, and with each one a piece of my confidence chipped away. It wasn't pride that kept me from feeling comfortable with him anymore, it was shame.

"I'll come with you, but only if you don't buy me anything." I declared.

"But what's the point, then?"

"I get to see your fashion sense."

Joey rolled his eyes. "Fine, but you have to let me buy Latara something. Good enough?"

That, I couldn't turn down. "Good enough."

                                                          * * *