The Directioner Chronicles Book 1: The Five Princes

Ye old one direction fan fiction:

Written by a lowly court fool

In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering above? At least it is true that man has no control, even over his own will.

Priscilla woke up to sounds of nails and hammers. Outside her palace walls, the local peasants were set to work, constructing the perimeter for the annual castle tournament. This was a special occasion, for the first time in years the royal house would have an eligible bride who was at the completely legal and legitimate age of 18.

In times past, the tournament was a chance for the lords of the kingdom to prove their valor in combat and warfare. However, this wouldn't be an affair of lowly knights and barbaric warmongers. This tournament would determine her rightful groom, as well as the future king of the land.

In desperation Priscilla tried to cover her ears with extra pillows, but as if on cue an entourage of servants, maids, and guards walked in, tearing her out of bed and getting her dressed. Amidst this commotion, her father walked in, waiting patiently for the posse of lower class scum to leave. After each servant gave a bow before exiting, her father sat at the foot of her bed, bracing himself for the incoming sass.

"You're making such a huge deal out of all of this! Why can't I just choose my husband the way I'm supposed to?"

King Simon started to explain, "Because you are the princess of one of the most proud and wealthy kingdoms this side of the Schuylkill sea, the ancestor of the Cowell bloodline, and the daughter of King Simo-"

Princess Priscilla cut him off swiftly, "I know who I am, you make it a point to tell me on a daily basis! Has it ever occurred to you that all of our wealth and riches simply belong to the select few? I mean look outside, all these people are digging holes for hours on end just to feed their families." She glanced out her window. It was as if the tournament had set itself up over night, the last of the fences was being constructed and the artisans were laying down the finishing touches on their decorations. Priscilla turned back to her father with a pained expression in her eyes.

"Everyone else gets to choose someone they love based on developing a relationship with them, which generally starts with a solid foundation followed by many months of commitment. Why should my future husband be chosen over the winner of some tournament?"

King Simon was shocked by her sudden wokeness. "Priscilla this is no regular tournament, this is the first event of its kind. The biggest this kingdom has ever seen. It even has its own name."

"What?" Priscilla asked perplexed.

"They are calling the X Factor" Lord Simon said, with a slight grin on his face.

"Let me take a wild guess, you were the one who came up that. Anyone who disagreed with it was flogged."

"Priscilla please, I promise you that this tournament will bring out the one who deserves your hand in holy matrimony. Also, you must understand, he who is able to best his competitors in the challenges will have the physical and mental aptitude to lead the kingdom in the future. Whoever is chosen in the eyes of God may establish a dynasty that will last for centuries, and you will be the Queen by his side."

"God is about as real as my will to live" Priscilla said under her breath.

King Simon stood up and slowly made his way towards the door.

"I know things have been difficult for you since we lost your brother in battle. He would've made for a great king, but we must look to the future. Enemies surround us from all sides, and without a strong leader to supersede me, the people of this nation will lose hope. You must do your part, not for my sake but for the people you rule."

Although she was fuming, his words struck a chord deep within her. She met his statement with a reflective silence, and gave a slight nod.

"Thank you for understanding" King Simon said as he closed the door.

Alone in her room, she felt frustration, anger, sadness, and anxiety all at once.

"How fitting," she thought to herself, "a princess locked in a tower."

Suddenly, in the distance, she heard the faint tremor of brass and strings, as well as hurried commotion and shouting from below. As the early morning sun shined down on the grounds beneath her, the first of the royal families had arrived.