Chapter Forty-Nine

William Novett

Lead with your head. Not your heart.

William did the one thing that he knew he would be allowed to do after the incident. He locked himself up within his room. Given the fact he had plenty of documents and paperwork his father wanted him to read over and study, Will thought that was the best thing he could do. It was easier than thinking about Parker.

Parker.

Will pressed his lips together in a thin line as his mind jumped back to the knight for what felt like the hundredth time in the past hour and a half. He slammed his hand down against the table and leaned back, taking a deep breath.

Lead with your head. Not your heart.

Snapping his head up, William narrowed his eyes when he heard the door knock. "Come in," He called, his face composed. Quinton stepped inside, his outfit partially bloodied. William had a feeling as to why it was.

"My Lord," Quint said, dipping his head slightly. The guards station outside of William's door shut it behind Quinton. "I've returned with news."

William waved Quinton forward. This wasn't the first time nor the last time William had acted like this. Usually anything that brought more emotion than William liked out into the open turned him into being... more cold. Will stopped laughing around and playing with the knights, instead becoming more like his father. Serious. Down to business.

Lead with your head. Not your heart.

Quinton had grown used to it recently this year - though all of the other knights knew it as well. During moments like this, there was no joking around with William. Even in private, they were to be strictly professional and respectful. Regardless of the close relationship that Quinton had with William, the two men were merely a knight and his prince.

Will rested his hands on his desk and stared emotionlessly towards Quinton. "What did you learn from interrogation, Sir Quinton?" He questioned, tilting his head slightly.

"As expected, the man is from Mointeach. After interrogation for a little over an hour, Rowan eventually pulled out that he was hired by the Truthas." Quinton paused before continuing. "His target was not only you, My Lord, but Prince Henry as well."

William furrowed his eyebrows together slightly. He had no doubt that the King already knew this information. "I'll take it that Prince Henry's guards have already been increase?" Will stated with an ever growing frown.

Lead with your head. Not your heart.

"Yes, My Lord."

Will nodded his head and continued to process everything Quinton had said. "Trutha." He repeated with a frown, picking up the quill from his desk. The hell happened between the Kingdom of Mointeach and Talador? What did the Novetts do to piss off the Truthas?

Of course, none of that addressed the other question on Will's mind. The man played around with the feather quill for a moment before glancing up and Quinton. "Dare I ask why Lady Rowan was anywhere close to the interrogation?" William's frown deepened. "Close enough to apparently be the one that pulled out the information to begin with?" Likely in his frustration and over-emotional self, William snapped the feather quill in half in his hand.

The knight and prince stared at the snapped quill for a moment. Will merely let the quill go and watch it drop to the floor, shifting his gaze back over to look at Quinton. He took a deep breath.

Not your heart. Don't listen to your heart.

Suppress your heart.

Suppress your emotions.