Weight of Memory

She didn't have her sword out but that wasn't really much consolation.
She was sitting down at the far end of the table, and seemingly had been in the dark for a while before we'd come in.
"She likes being dramatic,"Pearl whispered to us, smiling
"HELLO," she yelled from across the room except we barely heard her.
I waved back, Ruby following my example.
Rose waved back.
"CAN YOU COME A BIT CLOSER PLEASE IT'LL BE EASIER TO TALK."
"OKAY," I shouted back.

I don't think she consumes gems for power, Ruby thought.
If she does she's keeping it quiet? I replied, still pretty unlikely.

Pearl walked forwards past the numerous chairs seated around the table, and we followed.
"She's honestly not that scary when you get to know her,"Pearl comforted, seeing Ruby's tense stance,"Well she is a bit intimidating sometimes but not in a bad way."

"Hello!"Rose greeted as we approached,"Pearl, why did you bring two Rubies"
I could see her full facial expression now and she was positively beaming.
"My- Rose they want to join the rebellion,"Pearl began. Rose raised an eyebrow
"I thought you told her before?" I whispered to her
"It was dark,"she answered,"these gems turned on their Hessonite commander and helped me take her down."
Rose made a silent wow sound.

We were all silent for about a second.

"So can we join?" I asked, breaking it.
"Well you've already rebelled against homeworld so that already makes you a rebel unofficially..."
Yes or no Ruby thought. She was annoyed.
"But I haven't really heard much about you yourselves so tell me, Rubies, why do you want to be Crystal Gems?"

I shared a glance with Ruby.
We didn't really talk to anyone about ourselves much.
There wasn't really much to say.

Pearl sat down on my left leaving me and Ruby standing between her and Rose.
Ruby touched Rose's hand, and grabbed mine. I looked at Pearl questioningly; she nodded and I gingerly touched her hand. Rose had a look of momentary surprise which quickly changed to panic when Ruby started.

Me and Ruby popped out together from the same hole, a memory flashed of her holding me but it was from her perspective with me looking out of her eyes.
Her arms covered both of us as we blasted out of the stone.
She twisted in the air so that she hit the ground first and cushioned my landing
"Are you ok?"she'd asked.
"I don't have a gem," I had replied.
We came out together- we stayed together, Ruby continued, we were assigned to the same Hessonite who treated us like we were one being.
Another flash of another scene- the day we were given to her; a peridot lining us up for inspection- me standing pretty obviously next to Ruby.
Hessonite walked past slowly, another peridot talking to her about defects and perfections, eyes examining the line up.
"I'll take her, her,"she dictated pointing at two other Rubies,"her and her. And the last one's mirror image."
She treated us like a package deal, which we were, but she thought of us more like a bargain. Every single gem we've come across on homeworld has never treated us right.

I looked at Pearl; she looked visibly sad for us. Rose's panic had faded into some form of grim acceptance.

Ruby wasn't done.
Yet another visible flashback of Hessonite reporting to Yellow diamond.
Me and Ruby flanked her. From her eyes I saw myself trip and fall, and her stop and help me up.
Hessonite halted and turned, rage evident on her expression.
"R u b y." She growled,"get. Your defective gem. over here. NOW."
Yellow diamond merely watched, annoyed.
"Can you control your Ruby, commander or do you need me to deal with her." She said as Ruby and me took up positions next to her again.
Nobody treated us properly. Not even as pieces in their games. Homeworld treats gems like slaves, and they even mistreat us then.

So we rebelled.

I felt Ruby go weak beside me, and I snapped around to catch her.
She collapsed into my arms
You okay? I questioned
Tired, she responded, Power. Aaah.

Pearl shot us a questioning look.
"I think that took a lot out of her," I replied.

Rose was just staring, shocked.
"But you- Thoughts? What?" She spluttered,"ahem. Yes. That's a- yeah pretty good reason."
"I'm sorry you two had to endure that for so long," Pearl said softly.

"And I'm sorry for discounting you as soon as I saw you two,"Rose apologised,"I should know by now that all gems are worth the same no matter how they look."

The disgust had faded from her expression when she looked at us. She wasn't like homeworld. Not exactly. But she still had the same feel. Something similar- imperious authority.
It was probably just my imagination.

"You're officially in now," she continued. I beamed at her,"In fact," she continued, smiling," you can sit in my next meeting."

Ruby sat up, intrigued, as a horde of gems swarmed in.