Prologue

Prologue:

It was silent. The two young men were wrapped up in each other, refusing to fall asleep. They stared into each other's eyes, noticing the tears threatening to spill over, but knowing they could do nothing about them. They didn't want to face the inevitable, that in just a few short hours, they would both be leaving, riding on a long journey in opposite directions. It was wartime and they had duties that couldn't be ignored, even for one more night. They didn't know what was going to happen in the next few months, they were heroes, nothing could be predicted.

"Is this really how it must be?" Harry asked, the tears finally spilling over.

Louis reached up slightly and wiped them away, suppressing his own for as long as possible.

"Yes, darling, this is how it must be," Louis whispered feeling his resolve breaking and his own tears fell down his cheeks.

Harry laughed sardonically, "Isn't it always? For 10 years, we've only managed to spend 10 nights together. This isn't how this is supposed to work. I was supposed to settle done and get married. Have children. Die old."

Louis sighed, "Harry-"

"Instead I fell in love with a British rogue as soon as I laid my eyes on his beautiful face. I've spent the last ten years of my life being a 'hero' for the gods, and what do they repay me? One night a year with my soulmate? That's not payment, that's torture."

"Hazza, I know how you feel, and I'm sorry for loving you and for pulling you into this life-"

"Never apologize for loving me, you were never part of what I want to be undone. You are mine, no matter what I would have done, Louis Tomlinson." Harry said fiercely, staring into Louis' eyes.

"I'm still sorry, this isn't what either of us wanted. It's dangerous, it's risky, and I don't know what is waiting for me around the corner, but this life is how I met you. I fell in love with a curly-headed frog and I wouldn't change that for the world."

Harry's tears started falling faster, yet he still made no noise.

"No matter what happens, I will always love you," Louis whispered, tears falling in streams.

Harry pulled the blue-eyed man in for a kiss. They have 10 years of history behind them and who knows how much longer in front of them. 10 years of devastating loneliness and secrets. They'd never been able to show their love to the world, for they didn't want to become an outcast. A whole decade of only seeing each one day a year.

Their tears mixed and their lips slipped. Their lovemaking only held sadness and anger. A loss of hope for what could've been. It was filled with heart aching love that could be felt from sorrow and the inevitable. They moved with each other with an ease that came with love and familiarity. As they both reached their highs, the tears had only gotten worse. This felt like goodbye. Not like their other goodbyes. This one felt like forever.

*******************

Harry stood among a field of bodies. His men had been slain by the other army and he felt the anger radiating off him in a wave. He looked at the last of the enemy, the last 10 men. All of them had to be have been at least six and a half feet tall and far over 250 pounds. He looked at the 10,000 men clad in lion encrusted suits of armor. He looked behind him at the tower they had been defending. If this were to be captured, then the kingdom would be destroyed. It had been evacuated long ago but was still the most important place to capture. It was the only port into the King's city. He looked back at the men again and steeled himself for what was to come. He looked up to the heavens and sent a silent prayer, hoping one of the deities would hear him and have mercy on his soul. He touched a shaking hand to his breast pocket, where the most recent letter from Louis was.