Chapter 12

The only way I can describe my first shift in over a year was that it was rough.

After the countless painful bones cracking, breaking, and shifting into a new form, I collapsed into a panting ungraceful heap in the dirt. The second of weakness in front of Ulfa pissed me off to no end, so I shook my head to dispel the wave of unconsciousness that threatened to tide me over as I rose on all fours. It pleased me immensely to realize that I was bigger than Ulfa, towering above her by nearly a head as I snarled down at her. Ulfa snarled back, hatred glinting in her glowing amber eyes as she had to look up at me. Choke on my tail you murdering bitch.

Howling a war cry, I went on the offensive. Tackling Ulfa, it became of flurry of claws, fangs, and a shitload of ferocious snarls as we grappled for victory. I was holding nothing back, the strength of my wolf numbing the pain of my injuries as I fought for my life. For vengeance I never thought I could fulfill until now. I felt unstoppable as I tore into Ulfa, paying her back twice fold as I tore out a chunk of her furry hide and snapped her left hind leg like a toothpick. Ulfa whimpered like a pansy at that one, retreating from me with it dragging pathetically behind her as she tried to limp away. A haze of red tinted my vision at the taste of her blood in my mouth. Bloodlust spurred me on as the acrid tang of her fear filled my nose. Oh revenge was so sweet as I prowled towards her as if she was prey, death in my eyes as I bared my teeth at her menacingly. A few brave wolves tried to step forward to protect their wounded Luna, but I immediately stamped them down with a wave of my dominance. Ulfa faltered, her ears flattening as our dominance clashed and sparked as if it was physical.

"Take that mutt downnnnn." Luna cheered as I stalked towards Ulfa.

Whimpers of fear slipped between Ulfa's growls and a flicker of defeat crossed her eyes before she snarled at me in loathing. The Pack whimpered and whined around us, their anxiety and fear for their Luna nearly a physical taste on my tongue. They knew she was going to die and due to my power there was not a damn thing they could do to stop it.

"You would dare murder the Luna of the Pack before my packmates' very eyes? This will destroy us." Ulfa's mental voice seethed in my mind, causing me to pause briefly.

Only powerful shifters are able to mindspeak while in their animal form so I knew only I was able to hear her.

I cocked my head at her curiously, as if I was actually contemplating her words. My wolfy sneer however said it all to Ulfa and she bared her teeth, her fur bristling in fury.

"Murder? I think the correct term for this moment is justice." I shot back to her venomously, causing Ulfa to stumble in shock.

I was the daughter of one of the most powerful Lunas that had walked this plain in centuries. Was my power really so fucking surprising?

"Besides, I could care less if those gutless pussies fall apart without you around. They're all so blinded by you cowards that they wouldn't believe the truth even if I punched them in the face with it." I continued coldly.

Ulfa narrowed her eyes. "They already know the true truth. Their leaders killed a coward for a crime that can never be forgiven by pack law. That was justice."

A vicious growl rumbled from deep into my chest causing the weaker wolves to whine and drop to their bellies while Ulfa shrunk just an inch. Her retreat fueled my unquenchable rage.

"My mother never broke any pack law. She snapped her bond with Rodolf within reason before she ever so-called betrayed him. She severed all of her ties and claims to the Pack. The only reason she ever came back to the Compound was because she was a guest that you invited! If you think I'm as blind as this fucking shit of a pack then you are damn wrong!" I roared through the link making Ulfa flinch, satisfying me immensely.