Today is Knightess Day. And I'm terrified of what's to come.

I sit on the highest branch in the pine tree, obscured by the green needles and rough bark. The sun is blinding against the snow down below. My breath puffs out thick white fog. I wrap my arms around myself, though I'm dressed from head-to-toe in wolf fur. It's just that under all the fur I have leather armor on for today. The day my life may be ruined or not. I hope not.

A gust of wind blows through the tree, and I shiver and bury myself down into my furry cloak. I silently thank the wolf I had killed a few years ago for its fur. I close my eyes and lay my head against the trunk. I take one of my legs off the branch and let it sway lazily from side to side, the snow glimmering under it. This could be another regular day: I wake up early and go to this same pine tree, climb up to the highest branch, watch the sun rise, go back to the house, train for this dreadful day at the Ring.

I look up at the sun and see it's only halfway up. Most of it is concealed by a giant snowy hill. It's like the sun hid behind the hill the entire night and when it wants to leave the hill won't let it. But the sun always wins. For the first time in my life I wish the hill had won for today.

I crack my knuckles and breathe in and out. I repeat the process multiple times. It'll be fine, Althea. You won't get Chosen if you try to do bad, I tell myself. I know that I won't try to do bad though. I can't do that to myself. Not with Kianna watching. I sigh and sit up straight. That's when I hear it: a single shrill whistle that echos from the village to the woods. "It's time," I say to myself and begin to climb down.

The branches' coldness numbs my fingers—though I'm wearing gloves—as I grab each one and pull myself down. When I finally reach the bottom, I set my feet onto the crunchy snow and dig my heels into it. I begin to walk towards the village, my stomach sinking with each step. I can see the village just over the hill. Seeing it makes me slow down a bit.

The pine trees blow lazily by a gust of wind, causing snowflakes to rain down on me. I pull up the hood of my wolf cloak. Another shrill whistle pierces the air and I stop for a moment, listening to it. There are three whistles that are blown every year on this day: an early one, which is to inform everyone the Knightesses have arrived, the second one, which tells everyone to gather at the Ring, and a late one, which is a final call. If you don't show up after the late whistle, they can arrest you.

Suddenly I stop. Two women stand in my way a few feet back, where the edge of the woods meets the hill. One is in a dark green cloak and the other is in a bright light blue one. "Can I help you?" I ask. No answer. "You really should be going. They called the second one already."

Still no answer.

I begin to turn the other way, hoping to take a long way and bypass the two strangers.

"Althea."

I go still and slowly turn back around. "How do you know my name?"

They don't answer. The one in the green cloak moves towards me. As she comes closer I can see her facial features better: tan skin, a long, almost hawkish nose, and brown eyes that holds a fire within them. She looks to be in her mid-twenties. I take a step back as she suddenly stops a few feet away from me. "How do you know my name?" I repeat myself.

"We give you a warning. Heed it," Green says, ignoring my question. The other woman in the light blue cloak is suddenly at my side. She has blonde hair cut up to her chin and green eyes. She's as pale as the snow and looks to be about my age. How different she is compared to her companion, except that she holds the same fire of bravery as Green's eyes do. I take multiple steps back, putting as much distance as possible.

"Do not be Chosen today. Do not let it be you," Blue says.

I reach for the rusty training sword at my side, but feel nothing but air. I look down at it and find it gone. I give out a silent groan. Of course I would have left it at the house. I look up, and see they're closer to me. "What are you talking about?" I ask.

"Today you will compete against girls your age in villages across the kingdom for the role of a Knightess. Do not get Chosen," Green says.

Good thing I have no intention to be Chosen, I think. "Stay back," I say as calmly as possible and scan the snowy ground for a stone, branch, or even a pine cone. I see a rock that's about the size of my fist and pick it up. I hold it up, a warning that if they come closer a rock would connect to their face. "Althea," Blue says calmly and raises up both pale hands while taking a step towards me, "we're not going to hurt—"

She gives out a light gasp and ducks just as the rock punches the air her nose had been moments before. She slowly rises, her hands still in front of her, and she and Green share a concerned look. "It can't happen..." Blue says quietly to Green.

"It won't. No one will be Chosen this year," Green reassured her.

"What can't happen?" I ask and look for another rock.

Green gives a deep sigh. "Just like her mother," she whispers to Blue.

I freeze. Everything stops. My heart, my mind, my breathing. "You knew my mother?"

Green and Blue grow still. Then, as if snapped out of a trance, they pull the hoods of their cloaks over their heads slowly. "We must go," Blue says and begins to back away. Green follows her.

"Wait! Come back here," I say and begin to walk towards them, but I suddenly stop. Snow begins to drift down from the trees. The snow around their heels begins to kick up and the sun grows dark with gray clouds. Snow engulfs them in a whirlpool of wind and snow. "My mother! You knew her! Tell me how!" I shout over the roaring wind.

They don't answer my question. Instead Green shouts in an eerie voice, "Do not become a Knightess!"

Then they disappear without a trace and I am alone. I inhale sharply and run a hand through my blonde wavy hair. What did they mean, do not get Chosen? It's not as if I had any plans to be anyway. And how did they disappear into thin air? A twig snaps not far off from me. I look around for the source of the sound. Another snap. I cautiously walk over and pick up the rock I had thrown. Suddenly someone jumps in front of me and I give a yelp and fall back.