xx.

T W E N T Y

Walking on the pavement of the main street in Old Grimsby in this type of weather wasn’t something I quite enjoyed. I had my shift starting in twenty minutes and those twenty minutes seem like an eternity away. The music store was just five minutes away and I was supposed to swap with Nina’s dad. Yet how was it possible for me to explain myself for not having the enthusiasm to work?

I wasn’t unsure as to why I have been unable to work with as much energy as I have done before but I wasn’t going to let Nina and her dad down. After they asked me for help, I couldn’t say ‘no’. I have known these people through my entire life and they were like family. After all, you can’t say ‘no’ to family.

Therefore, for the spare time I’ve got, I decide to go into the nearest cafeteria and grab a cup of coffee for myself and Mr. St. John. It seemed like a really nice idea to get him coffee too, after all he has given me the ability to earn some money, I was grateful for him giving me the opportunity. And getting him coffee was the least I could do to thank him.

As I get to the cafeteria, I take a look inside through the window, and I notice a familiar face. Nina. And there was even more to it, a giggling Nina. She has never giggled. All she does is laugh, not caring about if someone’s watching or not. But then, I notice a guy sitting beside her and I instantly know it’s James.

Before I know it, I am smiling to myself. Nina, being the happiest she could ever possibly be, makes me happy. She is one of those people, that whenever she’s in a bad mood, or simply upset, I feel the same and act similarly to her. Almost like there is a special bond between the two of us. A bond that only exists between twins.

I look down to the ground, smiling to myself and as I take a step to the left – forgetting about buying coffee – I bump into someone. And suddenly my temperature starts rising, thinking of the person that could be and as I look up, I feel a little disappointed. To think that I’m disappointed to see Mr. Hues is remarkably rude. After all, I have loved his son for many years, and after Danny died, I still love him. Truly, dearly love him.

A polite smile forms on my face as I look into the man’s eyes and all that I notice is sadness. No wonder, he lost his only child. And I wonder, why I haven’t seen him around recently, as him and his wife still lived in Old Grimsby, simply because they couldn’t afford moving out but also Danny was buried in the local cemetery.

“Hello, sir.” I smile, giving him a reassuring hug. “How are you?”

“Hello, dear, I’m quite fine, thank you. It’s been over a year now,” he wonders off as he looks behind me, his voice sounding distant. Then he suddenly looks back up at me and clears his throat, with a small smile the questions flood out of his mouth, “But how are you, Eve? Are you alright?”

And I nod, not being able to utter out a word without a worry that it might break in mid sentence. For a moment I think that this is all that will happen in this small meeting but a question runs through my mind and without thinking if it could harm Mr. Hues or even if my voice would break, I ask, “Did you see Danny before they closed his coffin?”

The desire to know if I was the only one who didn’t have the ability to see Danny inside the coffin was eating me alive and in the very moment of asking Mr. Hues that one particular question I did not think about how he must’ve felt. And as tears form in the man’s eyes, I feel embarrassed.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have touched this topic. I’m so sorry.” I look down to the ground, at the tips of my shoes as I start fiddling with my fingers.

“No,” he ponders looking down, “You have the right to know, Eve.”

I look up at him, a little surprised and for a moment I am unable to believe his words.