Kriss Info

~~Dedicated to Rosered29 because she was my 600th vote!!! Whoo-hoo!!!

Kriss

Kriss is a cat breed name Maine Coon or American Longhair that is one of the oldest natural breeds of America. These cat were very valued for their hunting skills. They got their name, Maine Coon, because of their popularity in Maine where they were specifically native and the offical State Cat (like state bird, state tree, state flower, ect. Ex: Texas's state flower is the Blue Bonnet). Also, Emerson's pack, The Northern Pack, is in Maine.

Maine Coons have a large bone structure, rectangular shape, and a long flowing coat. They are well know for intelligence and their gentle personality. And they are one of the largest breeds of domestic cats. (Picture of one to the side)

In 2010, the Guinness World Records accepted a male purebred Maine Coon named "Stewie" as the "Longest Cat" measuring 48.5 in (123 cm) from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail. Maine Coons can have any colors that other cats have. Colors indicating hybridization, such as chocolate, lavender, the Siamese pointed patterns or the "ticked" patterns, are unaccepted by breed standards. The most common color seen in the breed is brown tabby. All eye colors are accepted under breed standards, with the exception of the occurrence of blue-colored or odd-eyes (i.e., two eyes of different colors) in cats possessing coat colors other than white. (Kriss's color is all black, not very usual for Maine Coons but very possible).

Everything about the Maine Coon points to its adaptation to a harsh climate. Its glossy coat, heavy and water-resistant, is like that of no other breed, and must be felt to be appreciated. It is longer on the ruff, stomach and britches to protect against wet and snow, and shorter on the back and neck to guard against tangling in the underbrush. The coat falls smoothly, and is almost maintenance-free: a weekly combing is all that is usually required to keep it in top condition. The long, bushy tail which the cat wraps around himself when he curls up to sleep can protect him from cold winters. His ears are more heavily furred (both inside and on the tips) than many breeds for protection from the cold, and have a large range of movement. Big, round, tufted feet serve as 'snow shoes.' Their large eyes and ears are also survival traits, serving as they do increase sight and hearing. The relatively long, square muzzle facilitates grasping prey and lapping water from streams and puddles.

Maine Coons develop slowly, and don't achieve their full size until they are three to five years old. Their dispositions remain kittenish throughout their lives; they are big, gentle, good-natured goofs. Even their voices set them apart from other cats; they have a distinctive, chirping trill which they use for everything from courting to cajoling their people into playing with them. (Maine Coons love to play, and many will joyfully retrieve small items.) They rarely meow, and when they do, that soft, tiny voice doesn't fit their size!

The main reason I chose this cat for Kriss was that the Maine Coon are well known to get along with dogs and other breeds. They have a great, sweet personality and are great cats. I do not own one (or own any cat for that matter) but the research I did proved this cat to be perfect for Kriss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon

http://www.iams.com/pet-health/cat-article/a-cats-natural-instincts

http://www.iams.com/pet-health/cat-article/knowing-your-cats-personality

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=maine+coon&qpvt=maine+coon&FORM=IGRE

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=black+maine+coon+kittens&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=black+maine+coon+kittens&sc=6-24&sp=-1&sk=

http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html#Char