Chapter 1: we don't need our bags and we can just leave town

"Just follow my lead."

Scott smiles and nods enthusiastically. He doesn't say it, but it's nice to not be in charge for once.

NOTES: tumblr anon prompt: Scott trying to teach Lydia how to make pancakes but they end up having a food fight  -> this is my interpretation

The universe hates me, Scott muses.

On top of deadlines from overbearing teachers, renegade hunters, wolf pack dynamics, assassins and benefactors, he's just been paired with Lydia for their capstone project.

He misses his free time before being an Alpha in high school. Scratch that, before being a teen wolf in high school.

Why did I think this was a good idea?

Being a teen wolf sucks.

Scott groans and hangs his head.

Kira meets him outside of class. She touches his shoulder to catch his attention and smiles coyly at him.

"Meet me after school?"

Scott smiles and says---

"Actually, he's going home with me", Lydia interrupts them.

"Right, Scott?", she arches a brow at him.

"Well...can't we meet sometime later, Lydia? I really need to---"

"Need to what? Have sex with our vixen?"

Scott blushes and he sees from the corner of his eye that Kira has hid behind her hands and the tips of her ears have turned red.

He's stammering a reply to Lydia but she shifts her attention to Kira and apologizes while reaching out for Scott's arm. She steers him slowly to their next class, her hand sure on his arm.

"Bye Kira", she waves as she pulls him along. Scott obediently following a step behind Lydia.

~ | ~ 

"Any ideas for our capstone project? Scott? Hello Scott?"

Lydia waves her hand in front of Scott's face and he blinks back into attention. He scratches the back of his head and grimaces.

"Uh...none as of the moment", he bites his lip.

Lydia sighs and waves her hand dismissively.

"Just follow my lead."

Scott smiles and nods enthusiastically. He doesn't say it, but it's nice to not be in charge for once.

"My last class ends at 3:30. I'll expect you to be waiting for me then", she calmly continues.

"Wait, what?"

Then she abruptly enters their classroom, leaving Scott stock still in the deserted hallway.

Distantly, Scott hears the second bell.

 ~ | ~

They've been at this for half the night (almost 3 hours but who's counting?). Scott's eyes are burning and his brain feels like it's melting in his skull. He turns his neck from side to side and hears the satisfying pop of his joints.

Lydia is still silently reading on his bed. She's sitting with her legs cross-legged, pieces of paper all around her, some with circles on it from where they saw something important that needed to be highlighted or they could use to get their point across.

Scott discreetly palms his phone and presses the power button. There's still no new messages and he's getting kind of worried. He sends a text to Derek.

A few minutes later, his phone vibrates with Derek's reply.

"Nothing new. I'm not supposed to be talking to you tonight. Lydia's orders"

Huh.

Scott reads it again. His eyes widening on the last bit.

He gulps.

He looks at Lydia and tries to see how she can make Derek follow her orders. And when he thinks about it, Lydia is pretty dangerous. He remembers wolfsbane-laced punch and hallucinations. Her birthday party. Lydia leaning close to him and saying that she didn't like losers. That party where she made him lose control.

He shakes his head to dispel these thoughts. And looks at Lydia again. He hasn't really spent a lot of time with Lydia but he knows he can trust her.

Scott returns to researching. But not without a final pondering look at Lydia.