Chapter 3

That was a year ago. I can still see that girl’s mangled face. Who could've done that to her? How did she eat? Blaine always knew when I was thinking about her. He was the only person that could read me like an open book. I hated it.

That day was the last time I cried. In front of Blaine and by myself. I didn’t want people to see me as a weakness. Not even Blaine. Blaine who I entrusted with all of my secrets and feelings. This was something that I had to keep to myself.

There was seriously nothing exciting about the Home besides the fact the only thing we were ordered to do was eat and go to the bathroom in the bathroom (no joke). But one day, when I woke up, I could immediately tell something was going to be different.

I blinked at sat up, listening hard. There was too much noise. I leapt out of bed and threw open the door to find Blaine with a fist in the air. He grinned sheepishly and dropped his hand.

“Just came to wake you up. Trisha wants everyone down in the Hall.” The Hall was like a dining room, living room, kitchen, and nook rolled into one slightly-less-than-massive room.  I nodded and started to step out when I remembered what I was wearing. Blue tank top and itty-bitty shorts. Crap. I didn’t want to change my clothes and be late, but if I went down there like this, more than one person would turn to stare and Trisha would probably flip. Blaine stifled a laugh and slipped off his dark leather jacket. I took it gratefully, and as I tugged it on and rolled up the sleeves (Blaine was almost a foot taller than me) we made our way through the twisting hallways.

I was right. Everyone in the room turned when I pushed opened the door. I shuddered, and behind his back, Blaine took my hand. Trisha was glaring at us together. She hated Blaine more than she hated anyone. Just the other day while she was folding laundry she expressed this hatred. Again.

“I don’t like your little friend.” She tusked, snapping out a towel. I was perched on an upside-down laundry bag. Mr. Electromagnet purred around my feet. He was Trisha’s cat. Being the fat mean cat he was, he bit my foot. I kicked him across the room, but Trisha didn’t seem to care.

“Who? Blaine?” I snorted. “Like he’s untrustworthy? I’ve known him forever, Trisha, really. He’s safe.” She shook her head.

“I just don’t like him. You don’t need to question my opinions, do you?” I had just sighed and kicked Mr. E again.

Snapping back to the future, Blaine tugged on my arm, trying to get me to sit down. I blushed furiously and sat. Trisha must’ve been pretty excited, because she quickly forgot about me and clapped her wrinkled old hands together.

“Tomorrow, we have the honor of hosting another school.” She said like we were an actual school, with actual learning. And teachers. “The Caraway Institution for Exemplary Young Students is sending a recruiter to choose some of us who have the qualities they are looking for!” Blaine snorted and leaned close to me, his full lips brushing my ear. I shivered, but not because of my clothing choice.

“Institution?” Trish ignored him and plowed on.

“I expect you to be dressed in your best clothes and be on your best behavior. I hope you all are excited! Be here at 10 o’clock tomorrow on the DOT. Dismissed.” The concrete room (Have I mentioned that about 80% of the building is made of concrete?) filled with chatter, but the conversation hit my ears as a dull buzz. The name sounded familiar. I screwed my eyes shut, and the flash of a young man lit up the back of my eyelids. He was smiling.

My smile. He seemed to be talking to me, a secret. His crystal blue irises, my irises, glittered as he threw his head back and laughed, long and loud.

“You okay?” Blaine whispered. I opened my eyes and gasped. Somehow on God’s green earth, it was the next morning and Blaine was laying next to me. Talk about déjà vu.

“How long was I out?” He smiled. Not as bright as the teenager in my vision, but sort of similar.

“’Bout . . . 20 hours?” I gasped. “Yeah. Right after Trisha’s little speech you just closed your eyes and I had to tow you around all day.” He teased. I started to close my eyes, but I was scared that I would black out again. I tried to peer over Blaine’s shoulder, but he pressed me back down.

“It’s 9:58-” I jumped over him before he could finish and sprinted out the door. “Parfait!” He called after me. I skidded to a stop as I realized what he was trying to say, but it was too late. I was already standing in the Hall with everyone else. My bare feet burned from my mini-slide across concrete, but not as much as my cheeks. Everyone was sitting in the chairs from Trisha’s lecture, staring at me in the same clothes that I wore yesterday. I hadn’t changed.

“Sorry.” I mumbled, backing out. “I didn’t mean to intrude.” I heard someone laugh. My heart turned to ice and shoved itself up my throat.

“Yer not intruding. Better late than never, you know?” I turned slowly to the front of the room. “Sidown now. Come on, don’ be shy.”

It was the boy from my vision.