Chapter 3

"Pick a name," Cade said. "Any name."

"I can't," I told him for the hundredth time. "I want my actual name."

He sighed, wiggling for a more comfortable position where he sat across from me on the bed. He held out his hands, palms-down, once again.

I put mine under his, palm-up. I twitched and laughed when he flinched. I quickly moved my hands to slap the top of his but he pulled away too fast, squeaking as he did.

I laughed, positioning my hands under his again.

Cade had introduced the game to me a few waketimes before then.

That was how we measured time, if you didn't know. We measured time by our waking moments - waketime - and by the time we slept - sleeptime. I was told the ground used to move to keep track of time. I didn't know how anybody could ever handle that.

I finally managed to slap the top of Cade's hands, maybe a little forcefully. Just a little.

"OW," he yelled, shaking his hands. "Did you have to be so hard?"

I laughed, flexing my hands. The muscles of my injured arm were healing slowly. But still healing. Soon I would be able to get the stitches out.

My leg was coming along faster than my arm. I could walk, albeit I was limping. The stitches would come out sooner. My ribs were also making progress. It no longer hurt to breathe. And the bruises were slowly turning a yellowish green, which meant it was healing.

"I'm totally going to destroy you this round," Cade said with his game face as he put his hands out in front of him, except palms-up that time.

"You wish." And then it was my turn to pull away or have my hands slapped.

"Play nice!" Kari called from upladder. "Don't make me come down there again!"

"You're not Mom, baby sis!"

"Sh!" I held a finger over my lips. "Don't make her mad!"

"What did you say?" she snapped. We could hear her steps upladder.

"Oh citizens of Cloud," Cade murmured. "Nothing!"

Soon Kari could be seen jumping down from the ladder, a wooden spoon in one hand, and the other hand planted firmly on her hip.

Both Cade and I cowered, guilty looks on our faces.

"It's time for you guys to separate anyway," she said. "The girl needs rest, and Cade, you could come help me cook."

Cade and I both pulled our pouty faces.

"You know I hate interrupting playtime," she said, rubbing a thumb between her brows. "But we're all adults. We have things to do."

Cade and I sighed, trying to look as depressed as possible.

"It works on her, Cade, but not you. Come on. Let's get your sorry butt upladder." She turned and led the way.

I quirked am eyebrow at him. "Come on, Cade, get it right. We've been working on the sad face."

He stuck his tongue out at me before leaving with Kari.

I laid back in bed, sighing as I did.

I was so bored. All Kari wanted me to do was sleep. I loved Kari and all, but I wanted to do something. I was tired of sleeping.

Just then the sound of boots registered in my ear.

I smiled, sitting up slowly and turning towards the door.