Part Two

I wake up on a cold and lumpy mattress. As I stretch, I notice the mattress was in some type of wood shed. Wood dust covered all of the desks and stools. I also notice that my wings have lost the faded blood stains from when each feather was plucked from my back by the teamwork of Chase and I. I sit up and fix my flowing white top and fiddle with the ends of my torn jean shorts. I push myself off the mattress and spot a bow and a pack of arrows on a wood bench. But unlike the bench, the bow and arrows are freshly carved and cleared of any saw dust.

As I examine the bow, marveling how the bow almost molds to my hands, I see two carved figures. The taller of the figures somehow reminds me of Chase. Perhaps it was the lanky arms or almost too tall legs. Even though the figures have no facial expression or features, I could tell that the figures were supposed to be a couple. I pick up the taller of the figures and put it gently behind the other, wrapping the lanky arms around the smaller’s waist.

“Look it’s easy!” Chase exclaims as he comes behind Lacey’s back and guides her hands with his around the lump of spinning clay. Chase and Lacey had been together for two weeks, ever since Chase asked her out after winning the Homecoming football game, in which he scored the winning touchdown.

“Chase you’ve done this before!” Lacey giggles and I swear her hair and his was the exact shade of dirty blonde.

“I swear I haven’t!” He laughs back and Lacey presses a kiss to his cheek.

And maybe, just for a moment, I wanted to be in Lacey’s place.

After adjusting the figures, and remember Chase for a moment, I turn my attention to the bow. I remember I turned down the shooting class and now I wish I hadn’t. I shakily load the bow and pulling the loaded weapon to the corner of my cheek, trying to remember how Katness did it in the Hunger Games. I focus on a block of wood nailed to the wall, and release the arrow. It hits the wall a foot or so from the block I was aiming for.

~

After a few more shots, some shots better than others, I decide to walk around town because, after all, I hadn’t been down since I left. I walk past a café, with my bow in hand, and see a small boy with a head of dark brown fringe and soft brown eyes. His slender tan fingers strum the guitar on his lap and there’s a guitar case open with a few coins thrown in. The guitar hums chords I wasn’t familiar with.

“I wish that I could wake up with amnesia, and forget about these stupid little things.” His fingers dance along the strings. “Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you and the memories I can’t escape, ‘cuz I’m not fine at all.”

I wanted to tip him, and possibly ask him for the name of the song, but I didn’t have any money on me. More importantly, I didn’t know if he could see me.

~

I felt the need to actually do what I was sent here for, to play love doctor. The sun is setting in the direction of the café and I have my bow in hand. I walk towards a park, but see all those sitting in pairs are already together. I start to walk back to the shed, maybe get some ideas where to go as I walk back, but I’m side tracked by the glowing sign of a club by the name of “Move”.