Chap5- Hakuna Matata

"Cam, wake up! It's time to go to school!" I heard one of the boys say.

"Dave said I didn't have to go to school today." I moaned into my pillow without looking up.

"Mum! Why does Cameron get to stay home?" Tom asked.

"Can we stay home too?" Rob asked soon after.

Shut up, I'm tiring to sleep. I said in my head.

"No your going to school. She told me last night that Dave said she didn't have to go today." Mum told them.

"Awwwwwwww, that's not fair." They said in unison. "Why can't we stay home too?"

Shut up.

"Because you have to go to school." She said.

"But why?"

"Because."

Shut up.

"But why?"

"Cam has to finish packing, you both have already finished."

"So? Can't we stay home anyway?"

Shut up.

"No."

"Why?"

"Because."

Shut up.

"Why?"

"Cam will want peace when she packs."

"We'll be quiet."

"No. Your going to school."

"But we don't want to, there's no point. We're leaving tomorrow."

"If you be quiet, and agree to go to school, like good little children, I'll buy you an ice cream after school."

Silence was all I heard. Then a door opening and closing. Silence again. They're gone. Thank god, now I can sleep in peace. Let's just say I enjoy my sleep a little too much. Note to self: thank mum later.

~~~

When I finally got out of bed it was midday. I had a shower, put on a singlet and denim shorts, ate my breakfast/lunch and now I'm back in my room finishing off packing.

I already managed to pack all my clothes in my suit case. Yeah, I know what your thinking, how did she fit all of her clothes in one suit case? Well since I don't have any friends, I don't go shopping that much.

I've also already packet all my stuff on my desk in a large box. My novels, laptop, pens/pencils, paintbrushes and all my artwork. We don't have arts at my school, well, old school.

No art, music, drama, cooking, textiles, wood work, photography or digital media. Let's just say, any 'creative' subjects, we didn't have. On the weekends I enjoy painting and drawing. It's like a get away for me, to relax from all the school work, and remember my dad.

At the moment I'm packing all my stuff on my dressing table. My jewellery box, my make up bag, my docking station and photo frames. I put the frames in slowly one by one, putting bubble wrap in between, examining them as I do so. There's one with the boys and I smiling at the camera as we're making a snowman. There's another with a little me sitting on my dad lap, as we blow out his birthday candles together. There's another with my mum, my dad, the boys and I together smiling as we take a family picture at the park. There's one with Tom on my back and Rob clinging to my leg.

As I grab the last frame I smile. It's a picture of the boys, Jemma, Tyzack and I at the beach together. The picture was taken the last time we went up to Queensland to see them for Christmas 2 years ago. Jemma and Rob were burring Tom in the sand and Tyzack and I were in the water boggy boarding. I wonder if Jemma and Tyzack have changed much. I mean, of course they've changed, it's been 2 years, but will they still be the same fun, exciting people we left behind.

Jem will be in grade 6 this year and Ty will be in year 11, same as me. In the picture Jem has long light brown pigtails, grey eyes and a few freckles. Ty has golden hair with a fringe, greeny grey eyes and heaps of freckles. I smirk to myself. I never noticed it before but we all have freckles. It must run in the family.

I stand up after I placed the last photo frame in the box and look around. My room is life-less, with only my bed, a clear dressing table, bed side table, desk, empty wardrobe and my easel.

I sighed and got my phone out out of my back pocket. 2:00. I have an hour and a half before the boys get home.

I might watch a movie. Grabbing a full box of my stuff and my easel,
I exit my room. I walk to the front door at place my full box down next to the boys boxes. I walk into the kitchen and open the almost empty pantry and pull out a packet of popcorn. I throw it into the microwave and put the timer on for 2 minutes.

When the microwave goes off, I pull the hot popcorn out and pour it into a bowl. I grab a hand full of the salty goodness and shove it in my mouth before walking out of the kitchen and into the lounge room. On the way I make a detour though the hallway to grab another empty box at the front door next to the full ones.

Once in the lounge room I place the bowl of popcorn on the coffee table and walk over to my rack of DVD's in the corner with the cardboard box. I sit down it front of the rack and start to load the movies in to the box. I don't know how many I have all together, but it's a lot. From Disney to horror, from mystery to chick flick, from action to high school musical (yes, HSM is its own category), you name it I've got it.

Once I've put them all neatly into the box, I pick up the one on top and put it in the DVD player. The Lion King. I haven't watched this movie in ages. I know this movie might seem and little babyish, but don't judge. Me and Simba go way back. If you actually look closely, I'm in the background when Simba and Narla are singing 'I just can't wait to be king'.

I grab the popcorn, plop down on the couch and get ready for and and hour and 24 minutes worth of Hakuna Matata.

~~~

What do you think Ty and Jemma will be like? Do you think they would of changed much in 2 years? Will their reunion be an awkward mess? Leave a comment and tell me what you think ;)

~AshLeeJ~