Chapter Two - The Crystal Ball

What becomes of a person’s soul when that person dies? Countless people have pondered over this question. There are those who believe in reincarnation; that a person’s soul doesn’t die off, but is instead reborn into the body of another. Others believe that the soul just ceases to exist; disappearing into a vast, endless vacuum. But the majority believe in some form of an afterlife; a state of existence lasting all eternity.

Daniel didn’t know what to believe and couldn’t help but sob as he looked into his brother’s eyes. All the suppressed memories, all the pain and anguish he’d had to endure, all of it came rushing back at that instant, tearing open emotional scars that were still struggling to heal. Kevin got down on one knee, motioning for Danny to come forward, and Danny ran into his arms, gripping him in a tight embrace.

“I’ve missed you so much.” Danny said, burying his face against Kevin’s shoulder.

Kevin patted his back. “I’ve missed you too, Danman.”

The two brothers remained in each other’s arms, and that moment to Danny seemed to last several lifetimes. Their reunion felt almost too good to be true, although there was presently nothing more real than the warmth of his older brother’s embrace. His brother was the one thing he’d wanted back more than any other, and the one thing he was most certain he’d never get to see again. But now that they were reunited, there was nothing more he wanted to do than let his scent fill his lungs.

One of the mounted unicorn riders coughed and Kevin began the difficult task of letting go of his little brother. Daniel wiped the tears flowing down his face with the sleeves of his shirt. Kevin stood up, surveying him through half-opened eyes. There was another fake cough before he finally spoke.

“Right. Where are my manners?” Kevin said, suddenly business-like as he motioned towards the rider on the yellow unicorn. “This is Clarissa, and her steed, Amber.”

Clarissa pulled down her hood. The hair on her head was blonde and curly and it fell over her face like a veil. She drew the curls back with the tip of her finger and bowed politely.

Kevin motioned towards the rider on the blue unicorn. “And this is Damian, and his steed, Hyacinth.”

Hyacinth the unicorn bobbed its head as its rider, having removed his hood to reveal long, dark, dreadlocks, gave a slight nod.

“I believe I don’t need a formal introduction, but I think she does,” Kevin said, moving towards the red unicorn. “Danny, this is Scarlet, my loyal steed. Scarlet, Danny.”

The red unicorn gave its closest approximation to a nod, and Kevin patted its back in appreciation.

Kevin looked around with pride before continuing. “We are guides to the wandering, protectors of the hunted. We are Guardians of Lost Souls.”

There was a brief moment of silence, the only sounds being that of restless hoofs and volumes of water pounding into the river below.

“Am I dead?” Danny finally asked, wiping the last traces of tears from his face. “Is this Heaven?”

“The answers to your questions are no, and no,” Kevin said almost playfully.

“Then where am I?” Danny asked, looking over to the forest skyline where the dragon and its rider had disappeared. “What is this place?”

“This place is neither here, nor there,” Clarissa said. “It is a sort of middle ground between the world and the other side. This is the crossroads between life and the afterlife. Welcome, Daniel, to the land of Eden.”

 After almost getting burnt alive by a dragon, Daniel felt far from welcome. “But what about mom and dad?”

“Your mother and father are safe,” Damian said.