Chapter three

The Thakurain had just stepped out of the room, when one of the servants, bowed in front of her. 

"Thakurain, Chhote Thakur is here" he informed.

The Thakurain nodded. She asked one of her maids to get a thali for her, as she proceeded down the stairs to welcome Chhote Thakur. 

Chhote Thakur had just entered the hall, with Chaturvediji closely following him, and a servant carrying all their files. 

The Thakurain walked up to them slowly, and took the thali from her maid as she stopped in front of the Thakur.

"Chhoti Thakurain, it was just a land deal" said Chhote Thakur, a little impatiently. 

"Whatever it may, it is our tradition to welcome our Thakur back when he returns successful" said the Thakurain in a voice brooking no argument. 

She did the customary short aarti of Chhote Thakur and handed him prasad from the morning pooja. 

The Thakurain turned to the middle-aged advocate and manager of the estate, Chaturvediji and folded her hands in greeting. "Namaste, Chaturvediji. I hope the purchase went smoothly, and there were no legal hurdles?" asked the Thakurain.

"Everything went well" replied Chaturvediji. 

The Thakurain nodded. "You both must be tired after the journey and the negotiations. Let us all sit and have breakfast together, unless Chaturvediji wants to go home. I've heard Madhu has her exam tomorrow" said the Thakurain.

"Then I better stay here, Thakurain, to give her mother a free reign to discipline her daughter, because if I go, she will leave her books and spend all time asking me about my trip, while her mother glowers at me" said the advocate. 

The Thakurain smirked while Chhote Thakur laughed. But he turned serious quickly. 

"Chhoti Thakurain, I've heard some disturbing news on my return" said Chhote Thakur.

"I'm sure. Let us sit and eat and by all means, discuss this news you've heard, since you won't rest till then" said the Thakurain, in a slight bored manner. 

The Thakurain sat in the chair right next to the head of the table, while Chhote Thakur sat on the other side of that chair. Chaturvediji sat next to Chhote Thakur. Nobody sat on the chair reserved for the head of the table. Not out of respect for the deceased Thakur, but more likely out of disgust. 

Between bites of their breakfast, the Chhote Thakur confirmed from the Thakurain all that he heard. 

Finally he said, "Well, he has dared to raise his voice against the Thakurs, so should we silence him? Though I feel your rebuke worked well enough to embarrass him."

"Well, lets hope so, but I got the feeling that he won't leave so quickly. He might have accepted his error and left the haveli, but my sources tell me he is still in the village, so the danger is not over" said Thakurain, her voice emotionless. 

"Danger? A single man can be no danger to us, specially someone who was seen coming out of the haveli red-faced at his error of judgment" said Chhote Thakur.

"But thats the whole point. He doesn't think he made an error of judgment, he just thinks he has no right to interfere because the girl, Savitri, is a minor. But he feels he was right. People with good intentions and less brains are more of a trouble, than people who are downright cunning" sighed the Thakurain. 

"Then what do you propose to do?" asked Chhote Thakur. 

"Keep our ears and eyes open" remarked the Thakurain, her eyes unfocused, her expression thoughtful.