Chapter Four • Death and Parties

The Dream Infliction

FOUR • DEATH AND PARTIES

Ringing.

Something's ringing in her ears.

Duh. It's her phone.

27 rolls over and looks at the clock. 10am. She reaches over and picks up her cell phone, pressing the answer button.

"Hello?"

"Sev! Oh my gosh you'll never believe it, guess what?" 27 sighs. Everyone seemed to have a nickname for her, even her best friend, Erin. Of course, heaven forbid she be called by her real name. But then again, who would want to call someone 27? It was awkward. However, the nickname Sev had never been her favorite. It reminded her of severe, or severance.

"What?" she breathes, putting a hand on her forehead and then rubbing the excess exhaustion from her eyes. Erin sounds similar to a child with too much sugar in her system, her breathing fast and her words rushed.

"Okay, you remember Mikey from math in, like, freshmen year, right?" she bursts quickly.

"No?"

"Of course you do! Anyway, he moved back here and he's holding this big party for...well who KNOWS why and you have to bring a date, and chips and dip and stuff are all provided and there's gonna be some real hotties there and our graduating class was all invited and I'm going with Ayden, of course, and it's gonna be sooooooo much fun and you should totally go because-"

"Wait. Slow down. You have to bring a date?"

"Yeah and you know, I'm going with my boyfriend and it's gonna be awesome! Ayden actually gave me roses the other day! Did I tell you? Well, he did and it was a bit generic, but you know, I was all like 'it's the thought that counts' and stuff but yeah you should really get a boyfriend, Sev, it's so much better than being single!" Erin gabs, almost tripping over her high speed words.

"I'm not getting a boyfriend, Erin. Maybe in the future, but not right now. Especially not just for some party," she persuades. Erin squeels over the phone and 27 holds it's away from her ear.

"See? That's just it! I already got you a date to the party! And you and I can't pretend you don't like parties! Remember what happened at James' and Nikki's party-"

"Okay! You can stop now. You're right, I do like that kinda stuff, but who did you pair me with this time, Erin? He better not be like Dallin." Erin laughs.

"Ha, no! Are you kidding? Dallin was a mistake. Geez that was a disaster..." she says, trailing off and most likely reminiscing. "Anyway, here's the catch: it's a blind date! I didn't tell him who you are and vice versa! Trust me, he's cute, totally cool, and I met him at work about a week ago. He was the most adorable customer and he looks so good with his new suit I fit him for thanks to me! If Ayden ever dumps me, I'll go after him!" Erin gushes, out of breath. 27 laughs.

"Sure. Whatever, I'll be there of it makes you happy." She can almost see Erin grinning through the phone. "When is this party thing?"

"Tonight!" 27 sits up abruptly.

"Way to tell me in advance," she says irritably. Erin scoffs.

"Well I've been busy with work! You know some of us actually have to work for our money, we don't all have daddy's credit card-"

"Inheritance!"

"Yeah, whatever, and my schedule's been packed! I didn't think that many people even had money for fittings for the clothes at Men's Wearhouse. I mean, seriously? It's expensive!" 27 chuckles, getting out of bed.