Chapter Six - Not Alone

Xavier POV

I stood in front of the pool house door, but walking inside was the last thing I wanted to do. I wanted to walk back to her and take her in my arms. I wanted to cross the so called lines I'd said were stopping us. I wanted to engulf her in my love and never let her go.

None of that mattered now, I'd ruined it all with my high school antics.

Instead of being a friend, I'd been a walking fucking cliche and had treated her like shit.

Well I was paying for it now. I couldn't be her friend, and I couldn't be more than that either.

I didn't deserve to.

"Xavier" Scarlett spoke, her voice was hollow, guilt piped through me. I'd done that.

"Scarlett. Please. Leave me alone" I warned through gritted teeth. I stayed facing the door, turning to look at her would be a bad idea. I wouldn't be able to control myself.

"I forgive you" She replied.

I hung my head and sucked in a breath. Those three words were the 2nd most important words she could say to me. I couldn't stop the smile that crept on my face.

"Fine" I murmured, struggling to keep my cool. Pure determination was the only thing stopping me from taking her in my arms again. "Friends"

"Really?" She whispered back, she sounded shocked.

My smile faded and I lifted my head back up. I should be the one shocked, she'd forgiven me.

Yet there she was, surprised I wanted to be her friend. She didn't even know the half of it.

I bit the bullet and turned around. I felt the dull pulsating begin to rouse between my legs as I looked at her. She wore the clothes I'd seen her in earlier that morning, but her clothes didn't matter anymore. My mind, depraved as it was, only saw her as she had stood before me less than 24 hours ago, Naked and tempting.

Being her friend was going to be hard, and I'd need more cold showers because of her than I'd ever needed in high school.

But she wanted it, and she had forgiven me. I owed her.

"I only hope you don't regret it" I replied finally, my eyes caught hers. She shifted slightly and smiled, then step forward and pressed her lips against my cheek. The innocent gesture affected me in a way that was a lot less innocent. The dull pulsating suddenly become incessant throbbing. I gripped my hand on the door handle to stop myself from doing something I'd hate myself for later.

She would always deserve more than me.

"I won't" She replied confidently.

It was nice to see her confident, even if she was banking on the wrong person.

"I'd better head back in" I said reluctantly, every part of me wanted to stay with her. Talk more, discuss the weather if we had to. Anything to be near her and hear her voice.

"Yeah me too"

I forced myself to turn the door handle. "come over tomorrow" Scarlett said suddenly

"Alright"

"okay, uh, bye" She murmured as she began walking backwards down the path, away from me.

Scarlett POV

My heart thumped hard against my chest as I walked back down the path. Once was back in the living room Isla leaned on my shoulder.

"Where did you disappear too" She asked softly.